Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
2000 27' Fever (newbie questions) >

2000 27' Fever (newbie questions)

Notices

2000 27' Fever (newbie questions)

Old 08-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 27' Fever (newbie questions)

I just purchased this boat recently and I'm very new this style of boat and have a few questions concerning how to run the boat. I know (or have been told) to use the trim tabs to help plane out and that 2.5 - 3 on the tab gauges is where they even with the hull. However, how much can I trim the outdrive up and what is the max RPM I should never go past. FYI, it's a 502 mag with roller set-up, headers and an Arizona Speed ecm.

Also, anyone have any ideas for engine compartment storage for this boat? Looking to put spare anchor, ropes and fenders back there but would to have a compartment to put them in.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Registered

In regards to your tabs, it's best to look at the setting on the trailer to see where it's neutral. Mine happens to be 2, but it will vary by boat. I get maximum performance at 5 on the drive. Again I would suggest testing your boat to find the sweet spot. I can't answer your rpm question since I don't know if there are any others mods that may have increased the limiter. My 525 is something like 5,200-5,250. I've got an anchor locker and fender rack so that doesn't help. My boat has 3 storage compartments under the v berth pad that may be an option if you have them. A quick fix in the engine bay may be a tote strapped down. Only concern would be placement so it doesn't melt. Congrats on the new purchase.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Never leave anything loose in your engine compartment. Make sure they're always enclosed in something. Anything loose can shift around, like the lines, and fly into your belts and pulleys and knock them all off and do some damage. Not to mention shut you down and leave you stranded.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 430 Likes on 207 Posts

Did you get a copy of the Fountain performance report with the boat? That will tell you the factory setup and trim settings when it was new.

On the trailer, take a straight edge and find even level for both the drive and tabs with the hull bottom. Make a mental note or mark that on your dash gauges with a mark or tape to get you a good starting point of "neutral".

For take off, the tabs should be all the way "down" and the drive all the way "in". That will get the boat on plane the quickest as you accelerate. Once up on plane bring your tabs up to level mark you noted when on the trailer and then start trimming out the drive to level as well. Top speed will most likely involve bringing your tabs up further and trimming your drive "out". You can over trim the drive so be mindful of engine RPM if the prop starts to lose bite from excessive trim. Every boat is different based on HP, Prop, and water conditions. So, take it slow and experiment with different settings. Never aggressively turn the boat at high speed. Reduce speed, bring the drive and tabs back "in" and "down" to keep you on plane.

There are some great videos on YouTube from Fountain himself on how to properly trim/drive the boat. Check them out too. Be safe.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Registered

YouTube- Fountain Powerboats - Secret to Speed
Old 08-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Also if you'd didn't get the performance report. Email fountain with your HIN and they will provide a copy.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by techman
Did you get a copy of the Fountain performance report with the boat? That will tell you the factory setup and trim settings when it was new.

On the trailer, take a straight edge and find even level for both the drive and tabs with the hull bottom. Make a mental note or mark that on your dash gauges with a mark or tape to get you a good starting point of "neutral".

For take off, the tabs should be all the way "down" and the drive all the way "in". That will get the boat on plane the quickest as you accelerate. Once up on plane bring your tabs up to level mark you noted when on the trailer and then start trimming out the drive to level as well. Top speed will most likely involve bringing your tabs up further and trimming your drive "out". You can over trim the drive so be mindful of engine RPM if the prop starts to lose bite from excessive trim. Every boat is different based on HP, Prop, and water conditions. So, take it slow and experiment with different settings. Never aggressively turn the boat at high speed. Reduce speed, bring the drive and tabs back "in" and "down" to keep you on plane.

There are some great videos on YouTube from Fountain himself on how to properly trim/drive the boat. Check them out too. Be safe.
I would agree with all BUT bringing tabs down and drives in when turning a step hull boat.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I would agree with all BUT bringing tabs down and drives in when turning a step hull boat.
I would also agree.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I was parked beside you the other day. Hit me up next time your out, and I will help you out.

If you have detailed questions about that boat, you should take Jeff (previous owner) out one afternoon and let him show you. He had that boat for a long time, and I'm sure he knows how best to drive it.

Here is the performance report for my old 27' Fever. As you can see, it doesn't take much trim for this boat.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Registered

Thanks man. I actually did speak with Jeff about this and he was very helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.