Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Reversion problems with 47's with 525EFI's... >

Reversion problems with 47's with 525EFI's...

Notices

Reversion problems with 47's with 525EFI's...

Old 10-14-2015, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

The way to cure the problem is to make them 100% dry and externally dump your water. If at that point you still have water in your pipes then obviously its something else.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Yea that would do it but it shouldn't be necessary on 525s.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I spoke to David yesterday actually. CMI made me the dry tails I've been referring to and David was the one that helped me with them. The tails already have reversion cones in them right at the flange. Are you saying to put something else between the collector flange and the tailpipe flange like a small section of pipe that houses another reversion cone or were you assuming that my tails didn't already have them and were suggesting I add them?
I assumed that you didn't already have them.I just Talked to David, give me a call @ 920-475-0852.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is also set up with dry tails and no silent choice. It does not have any external or internal flappers, but I was planning to add some rubber ones this winter. So far, I've not had any issues at all...
Old 10-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stag 42 has newer cmi tails which dump at the end of the tail and clamp on rubber flappers. Fingers crossed, no revirzion issues.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
The way to cure the problem is to make them 100% dry and externally dump your water. If at that point you still have water in your pipes then obviously its something else.
I agree,----make them 100% dry! It's kind of like a process of elimination and an important one at that. Part of your engine's power comes from the exhaust system. All that other internal cones, and/or dams, flappers and mufflers, etc, etc....your just going to continue killing the power you are making from your exhaust. Lots of good input from others here, but I would try making those tails 100% dry and then start from there. I wish you the best.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
I agree,----make them 100% dry! It's kind of like a process of elimination and an important one at that. Part of your engine's power comes from the exhaust system. All that other internal cones, and/or dams, flappers and mufflers, etc, etc....your just going to continue killing the power you are making from your exhaust. Lots of good input from others here, but I would try making those tails 100% dry and then start from there. I wish you the best.
I agree that would solve the problem and I discussed that with CMI last year but was advised against it because of heat. How do you prevent dry tails from burning up the silicone seals around the beauty rings and/or getting red hot ?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I agree that would solve the problem and I discussed that with CMI last year but was advised against it because of heat. How do you prevent dry tails from burning up the silicone seals around the beauty rings and/or getting red hot ?
Do your current tails go all the way through the transom or do they stop before the transom and have a separate tip? If they go all the way through the transom, all you would have to do is weld the current holes closed and dump the water externally.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Registered

They won't get hot because the water is still circulating through the full length of the pipe. I have dry tails and the tailpipe goes all the way through the transom. The water is dumped about three inches before the transom so probably eight inches from the end of the tailpipe. I have the rubber flappers on the tailpipe and even they don't burn up so the pipe itself is not too hot. I have shot my pipes with an infrared thermometer and have never seen them over 170 degrees and I boat in 90 degree water.

Last edited by payuppsucker; 10-15-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Registered

I still say you have something else going on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.