Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Reversion problems with 47's with 525EFI's... >

Reversion problems with 47's with 525EFI's...

Notices

Reversion problems with 47's with 525EFI's...

Old 10-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
They won't get hot because the water is still circulating through the full length of the pipe. I have dry tails and the tailpipe goes all the way through the transom. The water is dumped about three inches before the transom so probably eight inches from the end of the tailpipe. I have the rubber flappers on the tailpipe and even they don't burn up so the pipe itself is not too hot. I have shot my pipes with an infrared thermometer and have never seen them over 170 degrees and I boat in 90 degree water.
I already have what you are describing. My tailpipes go all the way through the transom and are dry ALL the way until 3/4" of the very end of the pipe, ie: the water dumps outside the transom. The only thing that would make them "drier" would be to reroute the water coming from the jumper hose to an external dump which would leave the pipe uncooled and I think that is not a good idea.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I already have what you are describing. My tailpipes go all the way through the transom and are dry ALL the way until 3/4" of the very end of the pipe, ie: the water dumps outside the transom. The only thing that would make them "drier" would be to reroute the water coming from the jumper hose to an external dump which would leave the pipe uncooled and I think that is not a good idea.
No, what we are saying is that you weld the current holes closed and you relocate them on the outside wall so basically the water is spraying outside instead of inside the pipe. Or you can ad another bung on the outside at the end of the pipe and let the water dump from it (outside of the transom). The key is that the water is never sprayed anywhere inside the pipe, it all exits on the outside.

Last edited by 302Sport; 10-15-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

No, to make them dry you would weld a fitting back at the end of the pipe as close to the transom as possible and dump the water from there. That way the pipe is cooled completely.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Registered

Look at the Gil exhaust Moxy has in swap shop right now to see what we're talking about.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Registered

But I'll tell you they are loud to the point of being annoying to some. Mine are 675 per side dry and I get smart ass comments on a regular basis when I'm docking at a restaurant/bar or at the ramp. When I shut the motors off it's usually a "thank you, damn now we can talk again" or something to that effect.
The following users liked this post:
JanTore (03-23-2023)
Old 10-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Registered

If you go this route I'd just weld the fitting in to dump the water as close to the transom as possible and not close up the holes inside the pipe just yet. Run it ans see if you still have reversion. If you still have it then close the holes inside. I believe dumping "some" of the water off might do the trick but I could be wrong.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 138 Posts

If you go this route I'd just weld the fitting in to dump the water as close to the transom as possible and not close up the holes inside the pipe just yet. Run it ans see if you still have reversion. If you still have it then close the holes inside. I believe dumping "some" of the water off might do the trick but I could be wrong.
I would just close them, do it once, be done with it and totally eliminate that as your problem.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Registered

The only reason I suggested leaving them open is it might not be quite as loud with some water back there but yes, you close them off it's a done deal then. My pipes were dry to the tip like HyFive's but I also had a small amount of reversion, (SM system however), and I ended up closing the holes inside off completely and dumping just inside the transom.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I still say you have something else going on.
I agree but the possibilities are few at this point. Could be sticky valves but IMO, not likely because when I changed valve springs two weeks ago, I checked the operation of every single valve and all were good except the one that was stuck but I'm 99.9% sure that was the result of the reversion and not vice versa. My primary suspicion now is that water (most likely condensation) is creeping back up the inside of the pipe from extended periods of time spent idling and the exhaust pulse is sucking that water back in. Makes sense. Water temps are colder now. Colder water hitting hot exhaust leaving droplets inside the pipes; idling for a long time and then the exhaust pulse sucks that right up the pipe. I ran the boat for close to 80 hours this summer and just discovered the problem recently. The evidence in the exhaust ports is minimal leading me to believe that its not a large volume of water and if it was reverting all summer, I would have hung a valve a lot sooner IMO. Going to make a conscious effort to "clear" the pipes more when idling and see what happens. thanks for all feedback and ideas.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Registered

Let us know how things turn out. Are you still doing the Hudson Run this weekend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.