Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
In or out? >

In or out?

Notices

In or out?

Old 12-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hard to to beat that. I am looking at the prop from the force side of it instead of the negative side. ( the lift side) like a airplane wing. I would love to see a drawing if this as a example. That's only because I'm retarded! And want to learn
Old 12-20-2015, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You running in fresh water or salt? Are your speeds GPS? just picked up a 98 35 lightning, 596hp@5800, stellings extension box's all the up (which is a 2" raise from what i have gathered), -2 imco's, and props are 1.75" below bottom. 30p bravo's 88.5@5700. 50mph@3500. This is in fresh water. From what I have been told spinning in does give bow lift.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew555
I get that much. But your talking about a pad bottom boat ( fountain) to a non pad ( hustler) boat step bottom boats an mine is small. I have 600 hp he has merc 525. I'm turning 30p he is running 32p . I will say this. I have not fully broken my motors in before winter set in. But by rights I should be seeing close to 90mph with the right conditions.if my boat is running little trim as 50-60 mph she will start porpoising unless you give it more throttle.once you brake 70 it is gone. My belief is its because I turn in?
The Hustler may not have a "pad" bottom, but it has the most aggressive lifting strakes on the planet. Its relatively dry and and very fast hull, and hydrodynamically speaking it runs like a very aggressive pad. Also the construction of the hustler is honeycomb, advanced vacuum formed composites. I don't care what the title says, tow a 388 and you will see how light it is.

The lifting strakes on a 388 become an issue when the boat nears triple digits. They get loose and dance, you fountain is designed to handle those speeds just the way that it is. Pick your poison. The 388 set the world on fire when it was released and could break 80 mph with 500s, its fast to a certain point. Most breaking 100 remove the strakes to make the 388 more stable.

I see many have questioned what hull you have, but I don't see an answer. What year 35 are we talking? There is a big difference from single, twin, small step twin and big step twin boats. Also the removal of wood in the later models made for a lighter ride. We are simply guessing without info.

Another note is a 525efi is not 525hp for the way that most dyno "home made" engines. It will spin a crankshaft dyno quite close to 600hp in dyno trim. The "525" is more a prop shaft number with boat accessories and wet exhaust. What are the specs of your "600s"?

Last edited by 4bus; 12-21-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

That's an awesome number for that boat - although it appears others above disagree with me.
In practical use, I've not seen or heard of that speed with that era hull and engine in stock trim. Congrats on your work!!

Originally Posted by C.I.M.
Yes, gps and radar at the loto shootout. I spent a ton of time on setup on that boat. Lots of fun though.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
That's an awesome number for that boat - although it appears others above disagree with me.
In practical use, I've not seen or heard of that speed with that era hull and engine in stock trim. Congrats on your work!!
He has the same hull as you. You have 575"s correct? You should be easily over 100 with that set up. Nice boat.