Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
water pressure draw off location >

water pressure draw off location

Notices

water pressure draw off location

Old 01-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I thought my headers were not going to get enough water to keep cool with my eddie marine cross over with 8an bypass if I install a water dump in front of the intake. It sounds like plenty of Water gets bypassed to the exhaust. That's my whole concern weather or not my dump in front of the intake would hinder adaquite water flow to my exhaust.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLUEMAGIC
Ok I thought my headers were not going to get enough water to keep cool with my eddie marine cross over with 8an bypass if I install a water dump in front of the intake. It sounds like plenty of Water gets bypassed to the exhaust. That's my whole concern weather or not my dump in front of the intake would hinder adaquite water flow to my exhaust.
Well the crossovers with bypass I have dealt with were 1" bypass's, yours being -8 is a 1/2" so talking 1/2 the size. If you are dead set on running the pressure relief, and don't want to use your -4 dumps from the back of the intake, why don't you move your water pressure line from the block to the front of the intake and use the port in the back of the block where the water pressure line was for the pressure relief.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Registered

My set up now consists of using my block drain for my dump which works great. water Pressure is where I want it to be. I was recently told it's not a good idea to bleed water pressure from the block drain. Was told it's better to bleed water pressure from the intake. Which is why I started this thread. Is the block drain just as good of a spot to bleed water pressure as the front of the intake? I just want to be sure before I go switching my line from the block drain up to the intake.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLUEMAGIC
My set up now consists of using my block drain for my dump which works great. water Pressure is where I want it to be. I was recently told it's not a good idea to bleed water pressure from the block drain. Was told it's better to bleed water pressure from the intake. Which is why I started this thread. Is the block drain just as good of a spot to bleed water pressure as the front of the intake? I just want to be sure before I go switching my line from the block drain up to the intake.
I'm confused, you are currently running a dump from your block drain?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Registered

Correct. just recently I was advised its best do dump water pressure from the intake. Thus my thought of dumping water from the front of the intake as a viable solution then my current set up using the block drain hooked up to a threw hull fitting.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd be careful here. Last thing you want to do is starve the headers for water. Headers do not like hot spots due to inadequate water flow. Most headers are designed to have at least a 1"OD line size feeding them.

I have ran my engines for almost 10 years now, without water thermostats, in cold 55-65 degree waters. Never had an issue from the water temps being cold. The gauge never moves.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Registered

I have been using the eddie marine cross over with -8an bypass for some time now with no problems with 5/8 restrictor in the thermostat housing. Is it best to bleed water pressure from the intake vs my current set up using the block drain? As far as cooling the headers go nothing should change correct? the amount of water taken from the exhaust shouldn't change vs my current set up using the block drain as a dump. Only change would be the location, now i'm dumping water from the intake.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Fwiw . I have supercharged 468s making 800hp. I have not been running dumps off the backs of my intakes for the past 4 years, and ive ran these engines very hard. I havent burned up valves, detonated , or anything of the sort.

Not saying i think the dumps off the rear of intake are a bad thing. But i believe its importance is overrrated. The water flows into the block , to the rear of the block, up to the rear of the head, and out the front of the intake.

I have had water temp sensors at the front of i take, as well as teed in at the rear water dumps on other engines, and never saw a difference in water temp at either location. The key i believe is to keep water moving in the block and heads. If running a water thermostat, without any holes in it, without a bypass hose like merc had between intake and circulating pump, sure you can form hot spots from air entrapment. The reason mercury didnt need rear water dumps, is because they always had circulation thru the block via the bypass hose.

Back to the OP's question. Blue, what size lines are from your thermostat housing to the headers ?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Registered

-8 an bypass hose on my crossover
Old 01-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Registered

the water flow to my exhaust shouldn't change from moving my current dump from the block drain up to the intake correct? the exhaust will obtain the same amount of water dumping from the intake as it would in the current location dumping at the block drain? is my thinking correct on this one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.