Notices

32 Fever

Old 02-11-2016, 02:02 AM
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Mach1
That's what I was afraid of with the Mayfair. The way the swim platform support comes down I had a feeling the longer Rams just would not work. I picked up a year old Imco setup from SmokinGun (Gordon) last night. He's an incredibly knowledgable guy!! He assured me the Rams will work between the drives and it's extremely simple to install, couple hours he says.... Ha, not for me I'm sure! This will be a weekend project without a doubt!

Is there anything in the way on the inside of the transom that would not allow it to be mounted between drives, or just harder to access? I'll be replacing my exhaust tails as well so that will free up a bunch of room to access the center better.
I think if you take the center risers and hoses off you should have more than enough room to mount them easily. I have silent choice but if you don't have Silent Choice, I bet you could snake your arms and tools down there as long as your drilling was done from the outside. In looking at mine I still think it could be done but just don't drop anything lol! My inner mounting plate for the steering rams is just above the center stringer on the inside and the hoses penetrate just above it. Like I said let me know if you need any measurements or detailed pics I'd be glad to help if I can.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the early vintage fountains had their steering between the drives. they soon changed them all to the outside of the drives, offers more stability. also, seems it may be an easier install with the motors in place.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, ALL GREAT INFO!!! I'll be getting the boat out of storage early April and this will be one of the first things going on. My plan is to yank the risers as I have dry to the tip to install, and while they are off I'll get the steering installed. I also bought two gimbal rings from Gordon to replace my worn out ones, so that will be the next thing to work on. I think I should be able to get it all done in 3 weekends. Btw, I do have silent choice but will be capping the top of the Y pipes for now so I can change to dry to the tip. I've got HP500s and they just don't like the short risers at idle.