Help on thrown blade >

Help on thrown blade

Notices

Help on thrown blade

Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help on thrown blade

Threw a blade on a mercury racing 5 blade 17.5 x 36 pitch.. 21 degree rake..850 hp prop...running 800 hp thru it. Looking at the hub where blade broke off..looks like it was a manufacturer flaw..any help from previous experience would be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Help on thrown blade-mercuryprop.jpg  
Old 03-16-2016, 08:45 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

I by no means am an expert in metals but have seen a few different failures throughout the years.....the black/dark rings looks like a fatigue failure are and the rest is a fast fracture...not sure if anyone could have caught that unless the parts were x-rayed and there may have been a pocket of air or something caught inside the metal allowing it to weaken and fatigue....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

What's the propshaft height and on which boat? Seen that several times when bravo props are run too close to the surface.
Looks like cleavers off the 47? How many hours on the props?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
What's the propshaft height and on which boat? Seen that several times when bravo props are run too close to the surface.
Looks like cleavers off the 47? How many hours on the props?
They are off the 47..bought these off of dan at outerlimits from a 40 ft white sv outerlimits with 725 ilmors.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
I by no means am an expert in metals but have seen a few different failures throughout the years.....the black/dark rings looks like a fatigue failure are and the rest is a fast fracture...not sure if anyone could have caught that unless the parts were x-rayed and there may have been a pocket of air or something caught inside the metal allowing it to weaken and fatigue....
I wasn't sure what the black was..i thought it was a flaw in the casting. I could just buy another one to match..but am afraid the other one will do the se thing.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

It could very well have been a defect in the material, but unless you have the other piece, or you have a big void in the hub that you have on hand showing where it could have caused the failure, i don't know if you could prove it a defect. but again i am no expert in metallurgy....may want to find a company that specializes in that to see if they could do a failure analysis on it....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

That black area is what they refer to as "beaching" i believe....you can see the rings from the metal fatiguing each ring is the progression of the fracture...the center point is where it started from....so if you have a void there then it could indicate there was a pocket of air or contamination trapped in the metal that could have caused the failure....

Old 03-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552481[/ATTACH]I lost a blade on a Mercury 850 h.p. 17 X 35 pitch. Similar break and my GoPro caught the blade in midair. Expensive picture but I did have a nick on the blade that I should have addressed.
Attached Thumbnails Help on thrown blade-image.jpg  
Old 03-17-2016, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by 47 lightning
They are off the 47..bought these off of dan at outerlimits from a 40 ft white sv outerlimits with 725 ilmors.
That's his dad's boat, boat has some hours on it as they use it quite a bit, but it wasn't abused. Interested in what maybe bblades would have to say.