Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
How do you get to the sending unit on a 2005 27? >

How do you get to the sending unit on a 2005 27?

Notices

How do you get to the sending unit on a 2005 27?

Old 07-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you get to the sending unit on a 2005 27?

The gas gauge never was accurate and now it reads full even with 15 gallons in the tank. How do you get to the sending unit?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
The gas gauge never was accurate and now it reads full even with 15 gallons in the tank. How do you get to the sending unit?
Check under bench seat. You should see a round access port. It should be under there.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I think this is a common problem. Mine reads full all the time. When the gauge fluctuates, I'm basically empty. I have 2 spare tanks so I'm not going to worry about it.
I've read you can adjust the sender to make it more accurate but haven't tried.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

theres a small hatch under the seat. Should be a wire or two. Disconnect and replace, the sending units are generic, think theres only like two kinds, you can find them at amazon or anywhere. But if the issue stays, then I would hook up a flow meter.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On average what would you estimate the cost of a sending unit to be? I am in need of one also. I'd look it up myself but I don't know what I am looking for exactly.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mysweetone
On average what would you estimate the cost of a sending unit to be? I am in need of one also. I'd look it up myself but I don't know what I am looking for exactly.
Theyre like 20 bucks. Like I said you need to pull the old one out to see which one of the two you have. Make sure you get a new gasket with it. https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Marin...t+sending+unit

Once the new one comes compare to the old one as the new one might have to be snipped or bent a certain way as I remember.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. My gauge never moved until it was down half a tank and then the need would bounce off full over waves. Once it showed half a tank it had about 15 gallons. It has quit doing ever that.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the norm for 99% of the Fountains. With the tank being tapered to the bottom and sitting non level, you'll never get an accurate reading as the fuel level is not on par to current capacity amount. When it's full, it reads full. When it's empty, it'll read empty. Everything between is just for chits and giggles. Run till its reads 1/2, then find a gas pump. When it reads 1/4, have your fenders hanging out
Old 07-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you probably have a livorsi sending unit if you have livorsi gauges. On the livorsi sending unit, there are two very small Phillips screw heads that adjust the resistance in the sending unit. One screw is for full and one is for empty. When I first got my 06, it read full unit it was about half, then as the story goes you out of gas. The problem was in the sending unit, gauge words fine. I filled my tanks, then adjusted each screw to read just to the full line. Mine were set pretty accurately in the empty mode. Now, my needle actually moves as the boat uses fuel and I think when they now read half full, I have half a tank of gas. Not sure of the shape of my tanks as I have the express cruiser, don't know if they are rectangular or angled, but seems to be reading somewhat accurately now. If adjusting the screws doesn't work, I would recommend a livorsi sending unit as it is just an aluminum tube. Doesn't move around like the one above. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, the livorsi tube one is what I just put in my 32 fever. Works great, better then the stock one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.