Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Another Vs. Question I know I am sorry >

Another Vs. Question I know I am sorry

Notices

Another Vs. Question I know I am sorry

Old 07-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soldier, I have a 2006 29' with twin 6.2s. Depending on the number of people and the gallons of gas (130 gallon tank) it runs between 67 and slightly over 70. Cruise is between 38-40 at 3200. Even Fountain stated "up to 74 m.p.h.) but how many people run with 10 gallons of fuel and who will tow you back (meant to be funny...) after your speed run? I would forget topping 70 if you are talking "stock." The cockpit is full-sized. The cabin is small. It easily gets on a plane. The only real issue with the small blocks seems to be the Idle Air Control Valve. I have replaced these on both engines (on the top - easy to swap out with just to allen head bolts and a plug in wiring connection). The symptom can be hard starting, setting off your alarm(s) while cruising - beep beep every 5 minutes, or not starting at all. Sometimes a bad valve will throw a code, other times (like my lst time) no codes thrown at all. This is not a HUGE issue as the part is $110-140 and a ten minute swap out. Just giving you an FYI. I carry a spare! As I trailer the boat and launch solo this is about as big a boat as I can handle alone.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
Soldier, I have a 2006 29' with twin 6.2s. Depending on the number of people and the gallons of gas (130 gallon tank) it runs between 67 and slightly over 70. Cruise is between 38-40 at 3200. Even Fountain stated "up to 74 m.p.h.) but how many people run with 10 gallons of fuel and who will tow you back (meant to be funny...) after your speed run? I would forget topping 70 if you are talking "stock." The cockpit is full-sized. The cabin is small. It easily gets on a plane. The only real issue with the small blocks seems to be the Idle Air Control Valve. I have replaced these on both engines (on the top - easy to swap out with just to allen head bolts and a plug in wiring connection). The symptom can be hard starting, setting off your alarm(s) while cruising - beep beep every 5 minutes, or not starting at all. Sometimes a bad valve will throw a code, other times (like my lst time) no codes thrown at all. This is not a HUGE issue as the part is $110-140 and a ten minute swap out. Just giving you an FYI. I carry a spare! As I trailer the boat and launch solo this is about as big a boat as I can handle alone.

Thanks the info Im looking for. I say 70mph boat, my old one did 73, im not getting excited about only getting 67-68 etc. Just a bench mark. twin 6.2 would work it seems. Did some reading the other day on the 525s and it seems they were talking top end rebuilds and headers every 200-300hrs. That's the kind of thing I kind of want to stay away from and worried about a big single instead of twins.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a 2005 32 Fever with 377 Scorpions (blue motors). It does low 70's at 2100ft above sea level. I cruise at 50 with the occasional WOT run mixed in and get 1.5 mpg.
I was rafted up next to a 29 last weekend and thought the cockpit looked the same, maybe I wasn't paying attention. It is tight between the front seats and the dash. As a driver I really like it though. I drive sitting down and my legs are long enough I can hold on to the underside of the dash with my knees while my feet are still on the floor. It's like having a seat belt on. As far as sitting on the boat while it's rafted up or docked we never sit in the cockpit. We are either on the back or laying or dancing on the bow, or in the cabin with friends. It's nice to have the extra cabin space. It's very comfortable and fun to party in there with four people, we end up in there a lot.
We also ran next to a 29 last weekend in a poker run for a while on rough water and he was in the air a lot trying to keep up with us, we finally left him behind.
So in my opinion if you find a great 29 that fits your budget they are kick ass boats. But if you can get a 32 I'd say bigger is better.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Paralyzer
We have a 2005 32 Fever with 377 Scorpions (blue motors). It does low 70's at 2100ft above sea level. I cruise at 50 with the occasional WOT run mixed in and get 1.5 mpg.
I was rafted up next to a 29 last weekend and thought the cockpit looked the same, maybe I wasn't paying attention. It is tight between the front seats and the dash. As a driver I really like it though. I drive sitting down and my legs are long enough I can hold on to the underside of the dash with my knees while my feet are still on the floor. It's like having a seat belt on. As far as sitting on the boat while it's rafted up or docked we never sit in the cockpit. We are either on the back or laying or dancing on the bow, or in the cabin with friends. It's nice to have the extra cabin space. It's very comfortable and fun to party in there with four people, we end up in there a lot.
We also ran next to a 29 last weekend in a poker run for a while on rough water and he was in the air a lot trying to keep up with us, we finally left him behind.
So in my opinion if you find a great 29 that fits your budget they are kick ass boats. But if you can get a 32 I'd say bigger is better.
Thanks for the info. Really I want bigger cockpit, but I think when it comes down to buying its going to be a best buy type scenario.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Thanks for the info. Really I want bigger cockpit, but I think when it comes down to buying its going to be a best buy type scenario.
Looked at my video tied next to the 29 and yep it looks like 8-10 inches more back seat legroom in the 29. Also maybe the front passenger seat is moved back a little to make more room in front of it.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Paralyzer
Looked at my video tied next to the 29 and yep it looks like 8-10 inches more back seat legroom in the 29. Also maybe the front passenger seat is moved back a little to make more room in front of it.
Thanks. Yeah I thought my 29 was cramped, I don't think Id really want to give up another 10in specially when I don't need the cabin.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, but the long nose on the 32's are sexy!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:59 AM
Registered

I guess some questions.

1. What is the cockpit dimensions of a pre 2003 and post 2003 29.

2. What year did they start putting anchor lockers up front on them

3. What year or models have the integrated swim ladder.

Two things that bothered me about the 91 I had was hauling that anchor over to the front with a non exsistent step or mechanism to get to the front. Also not really easy to get back into the boat from the water.