Battery voltage >

Battery voltage

Notices

Battery voltage

Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery voltage

I have a 32 fever with twin 502's, has 2 batteries on at all times and one that comes on with the key, most days the boat shoes 13-14volts crushing but today was showing 11-12 while idling or cruising. Is there a fuse somewhere for charging system? I dont believe both alternators would go bad but I've never seen it not above 12 while cruising. Thanks
Old 07-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I doubt it is a fuse. Time to start checking connections with a meter. Start with the two connections on your alternator, look for corrosion on the terminal and leads.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:16 PM
Registered

Only thing that stumps me is that it's a twin engine boat, why would both stop at the same time
Old 07-15-2016, 05:22 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Do you have both engines battery/alternator systems connected to each other thru the Perko switch(s) ?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Could easily be one connection knocked loose to do that.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Need to run one engine on "1" and one engine on "2". Running them on "ALL" is not advised.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

I've owned it for 2 years and never have turned them off because it just never goes dead, they've always been left to all because it has a 3rd isolated battery.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

One could have went bad a while ago and the other carried them. Now the other is going bad. Just a thought.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I had a conversation with an Alternator manufacturer a while back that does high end stuff for stereo competitions.....he told me that unless the alternators are specifically built for running with multiple units then what ends up happening is the voltage regulators inside the units will in essence fight each other. One alt will always be stronger then the other output wise...just the nature of having a mechanical thing working.....anyway they both will turn on but the stronger one will over power the weaker one and shut off the voltage reg on that one...then the stronger unit is forced to carry the load of the other system as well. (Seeing as most alternators are spec'd for only supporting one engine then have twice the load is hard on it.) Once the voltage hits its limit (and again your hoping the voltage regulators inside are equal which they never are) the primary unit will turn off....but if the secondary unit has a weaker setting then it will turn on and carry the loads....and you can get this cycling going back and forth eventually burning out one unit and then eventually the second unit when its tasked with 100% of the duty cycle...

So always run your batteries according to how they are wired....Motor running on its primary battery.....you will have to check with the Mfg on that cause I've seen some wired with motor 1 on position 1 and motor 2 on position 2 and I've seen others wired where the motors on each respective side is on position 1 and when you switch to position 2 it goes to the opposite side....gets very confusing going from boat to boat...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
Need to run one engine on "1" and one engine on "2". Running them on "ALL" is not advised.
Maybe some applications. But on my cig. Battery must be on 1 and 1. To keep alternators from fighting each other. So not all systems are wired the same. this is wired this way from cig. I'd recommend the op do some research on his vessel and run his switches according to manufacture. Chech you're purple excite wire make sure not wired in parallel. Causing both alternators to loose the excite. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.