Craigslist gold? I think so! >

Craigslist gold? I think so!

Notices

Craigslist gold? I think so!

Old 10-31-2016, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Craigslist gold? I think so!

Just wanted to share a story about my first sport boat purchase. I've been boating since 1989 with a few outboard powered boats down through the years. I even tried my hand at sailing but it turned out to be way to much work. I've heard story's on OSO about getting bitten buying used boats and thought I would share the other end of the spectrum with you.I was surfing craigslist almost one year ago to the day and ran across an add for a 1996 Fountain Fever.Always wanted a sport boat with a big block in it.Anyway the ad went something like this.1996 Fountain Fever nice boat,2 hours on rebuilt hp 500 engine,no bs, no trades cash only. 15.000.00 great deal, don't need the money.The ad had pictures of a very nice boat.I thought it was a scam but texted the number anyway. He responded back with I think it's already sold a guys driving up from Florida in the morning but I'll let you know if it falls through.Well i thought that ones gone it's probably a waste of time anyway. The next day he text me back telling me the guy from Florida couldnt't make it and I could come see it.He also put up some video on his facebook page for me to see. After watching the video I knew I had to see this boat.The boat was only 2 hours up the road in Charlotte so I made an appointment to see it the following Saturday. The boat was really nice to be 20 years old. I looked the boat over, listened to it run on the hose, and it sounded good! He told me some history on the boat saying that it was bought in Charlotte later went to a new owner in Houston who I later found out was a female OSO poster that some of you may remember, she went by the name Jana.He bought it after she sold it. I've even found some old picts on here of it that she posted. We went in his shop to get all the paperwork on the boat. He had documentation of all the work including the engine rebuild. 7200.00 on that alone.By this time I knew I was gonna buy this boat.And for some reason I asked him again,What did you say you wanted for it? Guess I thought I didn't hear him right the first time. He said 15.000.00 again, and I said sold! He explained that he had way to many toys.a booming business and to little time to use them. And a new baby on the way had him thinking pontoon boat. I went home and returned the next day wit a check from my credit union and left with my little piece of gold.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Registered

Default My boat

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561206[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Craigslist gold? I think so!-img_1257.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Registered

Default My boat

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561207[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Craigslist gold? I think so!-img_1256.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 09:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice find for the $. Have you put a moisture meter on the transom and stringers?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Registered

No I haven't, and probably won't like what I find, When I bought it, I took that into consideration. I tapped on the transom with a hammer and got some changes up above the outdrive and around the exhaust cutouts. Seemed the higher I tapped the more the tone changed. Guess I'll pick up a cheap one from one the big box stores and check it out. Still, I couldn't pass up the deal on this boat. Every other 27' or 29' of the same vintage were double what I gave and probably also have wet wood.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. Sounds like a great buy.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINFLY
No I haven't, and probably won't like what I find, When I bought it, I took that into consideration. I tapped on the transom with a hammer and got some changes up above the outdrive and around the exhaust cutouts. Seemed the higher I tapped the more the tone changed. Guess I'll pick up a cheap one from one the big box stores and check it out. Still, I couldn't pass up the deal on this boat. Every other 27' or 29' of the same vintage were double what I gave and probably also have wet wood.
100% agree, I would have bought it on the spot also. Some work and your way ahead even if its worst case scenario.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

You already own it just poke around with a screw driver or pick like tool. If it feels good roll with it. If it feels soft then you know what you have. Awesome find. Great deal.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:07 PM
Registered

The boat only had 289 hours on the meter when I bought it and it looks to be the original hour gauge. I am the fourth owner, the first garaged it at home in Charlotte and the second owner kept it dry stacked in Houston. The guy I bought it from left it on his boat lift for some extended times during the two summer's he owned it. So I imagine the interior could of got some rain water in it. But It never has been in the water for any extended periods. Another strong selling point was the engine work done just before I bought it. Yes it gets better! The engine work was handled by the Musgrave family, at Musgrave Marine in Troutman N.C .

Last edited by FOUNTAINFLY; 11-06-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice Buy! Nice Boat! Congrats to you, and welcome to the Fountain family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.