Towing With Cockpit Cover on 42 EX >

Towing With Cockpit Cover on 42 EX

Notices

Towing With Cockpit Cover on 42 EX

Old 12-19-2016, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing With Cockpit Cover on 42 EX

Who tows there 42 EX with the cockpit cover or who doesn't? If you do what do you do to protect the sun deck and windshield from getting scuffed or scratched? Do you need to make modifications to the factory cover to be able to tow with it? What did fountain recommend? I tow quite a bit and had always towed my 38 fever with the cover and can't see towing with out it. My 38 didn't have a painted windshield and the sun deck definitely showed some darkening to the upholstery where the cover touched it. I know this has probably been covered but couldn't find it specifically on 42 EX. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Not specific to the 42 Fountain.
But here are a few things I do:
1) Buy the foam pipe insulation from Lowes/Home Depot, and place this across the top of the windscreen/windshield frame.
2) Place white towels over the tops of the bolsters.
3) Place white towels on the sunpad at the back edges where the cover touches, and also be sure to have a towel where any seam (namely, the center) would touch the sunpad as the seam doesn't stretch and places more stress and wear on the vinyl since it's heavier.
4) IF your cockpit cover uses a pole, do not just have it pinned against an open floor. For towing, it needs to be placed against something like a seat base or similar, angled into the cover; of course at the right height. (On my AT, I would place a plastic milk-crate against the back of the center bolster, and the base of the pole touched the crate, creating tension and no potential to slide on the floor.)
Old 12-19-2016, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Huh, never had a cockpit cover pole slide along the floor of my boat and fall down.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Huh, never had a cockpit cover pole slide along the floor of my boat and fall down.
If your cover somehow decides to balloons up due to a side updraft or something from a passing semi, it can lift the tension off of the pole.
Basically, what I described above always keeps the tension; especially if you have a fixed length pole.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

my pole is fixed and always has tension, especially from ICDEDPEPL's avatars! LOL!!!!!!