Those who tow their 42 >

Those who tow their 42

Notices

Those who tow their 42

Old 04-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those who tow their 42

Looking hard at 42' lightning, I will not be leaving it in the water, for those who tow, how bad is in dragging in driveways, gas stations etc?.."..
Old 04-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zx14
Looking hard at 42' lightning, I will not be leaving it in the water, for those who tow, how bad is in dragging in driveways, gas stations etc?.."..
There have been threads on this same subject before. The biggest problem is you need to have your route pretty well planned. My trailer from the ball to the end of the drives is 48'. Now add in the tow vehicle. Right hand turns need to be big sweeping ones or forget about it. Gas stations are obviously tough to get in and out of. Even the ramp areas can be tough. Maybe not to launch the boat, but to park the truck and trailer. Last, don't forget it is also a bit tougher on the nerves towing a rig that size. Makes for a long day. That being said I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zx14
It's actually very hard.....if ur a woman. Lol
Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by buck35; 04-20-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I personally wouldn't own a 42 unless you have a lift/slip to park at the end of the day... it's a PITA to tow , It would ruin boating for me ... my .02
Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

We towed this new one from LOTO to Kentucky. Had to stop for fuel once - truck stops are your friend. We've only had it out once since, but it hasn't been bad so far towing to / from shop and home for tinkering.

Planning your trip in advance is advisable - fuel stops are most important, in my opinion. As soon as you think you can make it another 50 miles, you'll end up having to stop at the only fuel stop in town that you won't fit in.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So far gas stations my main concern. Have not dragged trailer at good boat ramps and I don't use any other kind. ONCE I had to unhook to refuel the truck. It wasn't THAT bad...
Old 04-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It all depends on where you live. I've towed 45' -ish overall boats all over.
Above comments are correct in that the truck stops are your friend, particularly the RV lanes which have gas pumps.
Pilot/Flying J, and the like are top notch.

The bigger multi-purpose gas stations like Wawa and Sheetz actually suck, even though their footprint is large. They are not designed for trailers usually. They are designed to get motorists in to fuel, park, buy stuff inside, and get the hell out. I have better luck often at smaller stations that have pumps that parallel the road. If you can tuck up close to the pump, you can usually grab the hose from the opposite side of the pump, and run both of them at the same time.

Trailer dragging is more dependent on trailer design. Aluminum bolt together trailers usually sit a bit higher; BUT their cross members and adjustable bunk supports/mounts hang down low. Sometimes you can lop these off to create clearance. The aluminum and steel welded trailers that have more of a "cradle" system of bunks, usually sit lower overall, but do not have the components that hang down low.
Regardless, you want to be on 16" wheels with 235/85/16 (typical LT size used for bigger boat trailers) to keep the height up, and have lots of trailer tire sidewall for when you do have to rub or hop curbs (slowly.)

The worst ramp I have ever used is the Miami Outboard Club, between Southbeach and Downtown, off the causeway. It has a HORRIBLE acute angle at the top of the ramp; so much so that you have to back just about any tandem or bigger trailer over the crest at a 45* angle, and then straighten the trailer as you get closer to the water. Keep this trick in mind when needed; same as when you are taking low slung cars over speedbumps or garage aprons.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tow mine with a f-350 and it rides nice. A 100' driveway helps, but I still run over the grass in the backing turn into the drive (blind side).

My GVWR combo is over 26,000 lbs. You will need a class A CDL if the trailer GVWR is over 10,000 lbs., which it is/ or over 26k combo. Not too hard to get. You will also need to stay on truck routes (state roads) hauling because of the length of the combo. The intersections are designed for big rig turns. Take it down a road not designed for that rig and you will get stuck at an intersection because you don't have the clearance, and face a possible state/federally mandated arrest if you do not have a CDL.

It helps to put a wireless camera on the back to see what's going on behind you. If you have hauled a smaller boat you are already ahead and know the routine. It's just a little longer and you need to make wider turns to clear the wheels and side of the boat.

Unless it's a truck stop, and they have 91 or higher octane, don't even think about trying to fuel up on land. Boat on trailer, sans drive guard, with crew cab chassis is over 65'.

One more thing to think about if you are putting it into a building is that you will need a 9' tall door to clear the windshield with the boat on the trailer.

Last edited by mike38scarab; 04-21-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I don't even know she is back there
Towing and getting into gas stations in no problem (yes even the Wawa's and Sheetz) , nor is towing around town
The longer the trailer the easier it is to back up, the nicer it tows as well
I sell trailers for my business, so towing large is nothing for me
All depends on how good of driver you are
and as far as the previous post you DO NOT need a Class A CDL to drive them, you are not a commercial driver

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566607[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566608[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Those who tow their 42-20160704_143115.jpg   Those who tow their 42-20160704_143103.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.