Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
another anchor post >

another anchor post

Notices

another anchor post

Old 05-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I used a box anchor once. Was bragging to everyone in our tie off about how great it was (according to the interwebs), no chain requried, 2-1 scope, etc. Later that day a storm kicked up and I was one of the last to be able to leave the raft-off as I was towards the middle. As boats are trying to untie from me, and therefore were pulling their anchors, we were headed towards the back of the cove almost on plane (I might be exaggerating a bit, but...). I tried playing out more scope but the anchor still wouldn't bite. Finally got everyone off me and I bet i easily had 6 ot 7 to one scope (10' water) and it was still dragging in a 15 - 20 MPH wind. Finally had the wife take the wheel so I could deal with the anchor/anchor line. Anchor came up with half the lake bottom (mud). My wife looked at me and said "cut the line and sink that POS". I sold it the following week on OSO. Back to the old trusty FX-7. I still to this day (about 3 or 4 years running) get grief about that anchor from my "buddies". I must have received the only defective one.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use a cheap rubber coated danforth that I got from Cabels. With 10' of chain its holds great in 30-40' of water with 75' of line out. It will hold 3 boats on a calm day. Technically its a little small for my 29 but it fits nicely in the locker. My wife is captain of the anchor also and she has no problems with it.

[IMG][/IMG]