10M speeds >

10M speeds

Notices

10M speeds

Old 07-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 10M speeds

I currently have a 1988 10M, so its 33', straight bottom with twin 468's with 177 blowers. Motors make 610hp at 5500. I have B/W trans with the TRS drives and currently have 28 bravo props on the boat. My question is who has a similar boat with TRS drives and what speeds and props are you running? My tachs are currently disabled due to trouble shooting a electrical issue but the best I have seen on the gps was 73mph with 3/4 tank of fuel. I'm wondering if the bravos are the wrong props because the boat is still in the water at the drivers seat area and back when running hard and trimmed to 4. I was also told getting to 1/4 tank of fuel I would pick up 6-7 more mph but haven't run it enough know yet.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 10 meter with 750s. N Konrad drives. And trannies ran mid nineties all day long. My motors made a true 750 n tons of tourque. Paul pfaff built n dumped engines , they snort. There in my cig now. Took out the Scorpian motors n never looked back.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Registered

I have a 1988 10m. had trs (now konrad) natural 509 engines(good heads, dry exhaust, big cam). when first built with trs and 26" hydromotive q4 (hydromotive custom work to props) would run high 80's all the time and a high of 91 gps with breaking 90 on many occasions. will still run mid 85 now after many years and very tired engines. my guess you are not making the power you should be or there is something wrong with the boat . also you should have hydromotive nose cones on the trs for that boat setup. you need to check slip numbers
Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Registered

I would think your props are a little big. I have a 1988 10 Meter. My boat had the motors dyno'd at 625hp. With 25 4 blade hydros the best I ran on GPS w as 82 mph, in fresh water. I run now 26 hydros. I like it better, because it gives me a few miles an hour faster cruise, VS top end. That is where I do almost all of my boating now (at cruise speed). It has been a while since I used my 25's but i think I was turning them at 5600 rpm. My 26's are turning around 5400 rpm.
The top of my transom assemblies are right up against the rub rail. Fountain did a lot of adjusting with the X demension. I have seen a lot of 10 meters with the drives mounted lower.
When you get your tach's fixed it will give you a lot better idea of size prop you need.
I hope this helps you out and good luck.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Registered

The motors were dynod at 610 hp but the x is not that high as the top of the assembly is about 1" below the rub rail. GS42fun your boat sounds real similar to mine and is they type of information I was looking for. Hopefully the tachs will be fixed soon and I get better data. You don't still have the 25's around for sale do you?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Registered

I do have the 25's, but I want to keep them as spares. With your drives being a little deeper, the 25 4 blade prop should be pretty close to what you need.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Registered

let me try to help from a different direction. when I first put the boat together I had 454's with a little work done, without blowers. boat did about 75 or better. I had stock 25 hydros on the trs drives with nose cones. don't remember the rpm. point is I wasn't making anywhere near 600 hp and it was faster. these boats run fast with hydromotives. the bravos aren't terrible but 28 is too much. get your speeds, rpm, prop pitch, gear ratio and run the numberst for slip. these boats will run very low slip numbers. there has to be something wrong. and another thing, my first run out the boat only did about 67mph. turned out the distributors were bad, (breaking up at high rpm) installed msd distributors and boxes and boat went 75. (something was wrong).
Old 07-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Registered

I do have nose cones on the drives. I just need to spend more time learning the boat and get the tachs fixed. What have you found the sweet spot with drive indicators, 3 or higher?
Old 07-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Registered

the particular number on your trim indicator can be different from boat to boat. I usually have the indicators set at about 3 for neutral trim, and I put a mark on the dash where neutral trim is. this is to know where I am so I don't get into trouble when running fast. so assuming 3 is basically parallel with bottom of boat , for top speed runs you would be on about 5-8 for top speed. you want to be on no more than a moderate chop for top speed if using a lot of trim. for big waves and really rough water you will want to be in the 3 range or a little lower.
these boats carry themselves nicely without much trim, but for top speed they like more. with the power you have I can't see why you shouldn't break 80 everyday. everything else good it's all about props. spend your money wisely and get the power to the water.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Registered

Thanks JIMG for all the info. I was going to do like you said and mark my indicators this weekend for neutral trim.