10 Meter - water in port fuel tank

Old 09-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10 Meter - water in port fuel tank

1989 Lightning 10 Meter
Re-did engines 10 yrs ago, same block just different guts,
Changed out TRS drives to Konrads cpl years ago,
original aluminum tanks, had a bunch of gunk in port tank earlier this year, nothing in Starboard. ( cleaned out thoroughly )

Took off water/ fuel separator and found 60/40 mix of fuel water. Boat has been in the dry, sitting on lift under dock, since last fill up. ( in June 2017 )
cleaned out the tank, drained all fuel and now its acting like it still has water in fuel again.

I did wash the boat on the lift in August, gas caps were on ( screw in type - originals ) Could the water run in around the grommet holding the fuel cap ?
no gas is found in the bilge or leaking anywhere I can find. ( if its holding fuel, how is the water getting in )
Hole in top of tank ? I have owned the boat for 18 years, I'm not abuser. ( running on LOTO for last 18 yrs )

Any help or suggestion.... Thank you,
Old 09-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it seems these tanks over time do tend to get pourous on the top. So, no gas in the bilge, but water seeping in is possible. I had a similiar problem where my fuel pickups were on a separate plate that was bolted to the tank. Gasket was shot and water flowed in there like crazy. Also the fuel sender is most likely on top and does bolt to the tank. Check that gasket
Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

did you have to cut out the floor to expose the pick-ups... trying to NOT destruct the boat !!
Old 09-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

No. As it happens my pick ups are positioned so they are under the rear seat area and they were out in the open.