Notices

Stereo

Old 12-10-2002, 06:51 AM
1 bad habit

Question Stereo

Putting stereo in 2003 29 ft and need Ideals on where to mount amps, speakers ect..Has anyone put a system in a 29 and what did you do . Do not want to cut holes in rear seat for subs.

Old 12-10-2002, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built sub woofer boxes that fit up against the side wall and partially under the front bolsters. Covered them in the same color carpet. Mounted amps under back seat (if I did it over, I would put them in cabin)Sony cd canger in storage comp, in cabin. Wired remote mounted on dash, above throttle and shifter. Replaced the existing speakers with kicker and added another pair of kickers in front of cockpit, then added a pair of MB quart tweeters right where the winshield meets on drivers and passanger side.

My stereo cranks, however if I had it to do over I would make all the speakers MB Quartz, they cost more but are worth it. I have heard good things about Babbs but not used them personally.

When putting in stereo, max out your amps for the speakers and use only name brand, I used Rock Ford Fosgate, Punch 250, two of them.

I urge against cutting holes in rear seat for subs unless you want to enclose the seat. I did that on my old boat and was very disappointed in volume.

Hope this helps

Will
Old 12-10-2002, 05:07 PM
1 bad habit

Thanks for input , Subs sound like a good ideal . Had super system in my old baja 272 but cut holes in back seat and did want to cut any in this boat. Thinking about putting amp where porta potty went . What size woofers did you put in?

Old 12-10-2002, 07:55 PM
Fountain34CC

I would recommend Babb speakers if anything. We put MB's in our 34 and I am not impressed with the sound quality (Sony Xplode and amp) and hardly any bass out of the speakers. Babbs have a much better sound quality and excellent bass that really thumps. I think the best soundins marine speakers are Babbs, they sound excellent with Infinity at a close second.

Old 12-10-2002, 10:13 PM
envision

I have a 2002 29. I found the already installed Fountain speaker wires AFTER I ran new wires to add some front speakers in the cockpit. I also noticed that the breaker box under the seat has a 40 amp breaker labeled AMP (which is a spring project).

I am betting that if you look in a logical place for the amp, you might find the wiring already there.

I see Fountain switched from the Sony stuff for 2003. I hope the Kenwood? sounds better.

PS One of them ROTOZIP tools works great to cut new holes in the fiberglass.

Old 12-11-2002, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 Bad Habit,

For subs I used Kicker 10" Competition subs in sealed boxes, run off a Punch 250 amp. You may have more room w/ a 29. Need to measure how much room you want to take up and then the min air enclosure for the subs. As for the sub grills, I purchased the black ones then painted them white and clear coated.

Kicker makes good subs but their are others out there that are good also, however when getting subs for the boat DO NOT USE MARINE subs. Get a competition series sub, and push allot of power to it.

Will