My Fountain's a real trouper! >

My Fountain's a real trouper!

Notices

My Fountain's a real trouper!

Old 06-16-2003, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My Fountain's a real trouper!

Did the TOPPS poker run on Saturday and just want to rave about my boat. She ran great for the leg and a half. We were surfing wakes, passing bigger boats and just having a great time. The, she started developing problems (see Tech Q&A if you're curious). We were, of course, at the far end of the run when it happened, but that boat got me all the way from Galveston to Clear Lake (about an hour's ride) on plane and without too bumpy a ride (I couldn't go the speed I would've liked to). She never completely quit and made it back to my marina. My passengers had a great time and raved about how she rode, despite the near breakdown. That little Fountain really came through for me.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Registered

Jana,

What's the verdict on your boat?

Thanks,

Mark S.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they found water in a couple of cylinders.

Ron
Old 07-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Registered

It's not looking good. Water in two cylinders and they say it overheated. (Not sure about that - my friend ran back the whole way with me and was watching the water coming out the exhausts. My gauge said 10 lbs of water pressure at 3500 rpm.) Going to have to do some valves (and the springs since it's getting close to that on hours anyway). The cylinders that got wet are slightly pitted, so they may have to bore them, and that'll mean new pistons. He's getting the heads checked for heat damage - another big bill if they're bad. On top of that, they still have to find whatever electrical stuff was acting up. I'm going down there later this week to see for myself and discuss everything.

What do you guys think? Sell my mechanic all my stuff for whatever he'll give me and go find a rebuilt HP500 or repair what I have?

Also, have any of you redesigned your wiring harness? Those $*%# cable ties that hold the main bundle under the deck are always popping loose and may have contributed to my big bills. I'm planning to do something different and would love some ideas. (Note, I haven't paid up, so if you have pictures, link 'em or e-mail me. Thanks!)
Old 07-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Registered

Wow sorry to hear about your mess. If your motor is really that bad yo may want to buy a nice 540 maybe 650HP or so which would be reliable and chaeper than a Merc HP500. There a re a lot of good engine builder around shop and ask friends who they use locally. That 29 would fly with that in it.