New 29 fever owner with questions... >

New 29 fever owner with questions...

Notices

New 29 fever owner with questions...

Old 09-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 29 fever owner with questions...

Just took delivery of my new 29 Fever with twin 6.2's and was very pleased with the boat and purchase. The factory test showed 71mph on the gps speedo 92 degree day and a light load...driver and 60 gallons of fuel. I was able 69mph with a full load of fuel and three adults on board. This is my first Fountain and I could not believe the handling and performance! I do have some concerns however. I put 12 hours on the boat in two days and came up with several problems. The main issue is the drivers electric bolster seat. It appears to have been damaged when I came down hard off a wave at about 60mph. It was a pretty good hit but not the worst I ever had. The seat made a snapping sound and dropped about two inches and now will not return to the full up position. I looked at the linkage and seat frame and cannot see any obvious damage. Anyone had a similar experience? Also, I am turning about 5300 rpm with B1 26" props. I figure it could use 28's but would hate to lose the response and incredible mid-range performance. I also noticed the drive fluid levels dropped from full to just above add in that same 10 hours of use...normal? I added fluid and will keep an eye on it. Only other problem is with the Gaffrig gauges fogging up on 5 out of the 10 two inch units installed, again any ideas will be most welcome. Other than that, I hope to enjoy the experience and hope I do not have the trouble with the factory that some other have had. Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Registered

Check the pins that the seat pivots on. Last poker run I did, one of crew tried to put the passenger seat down with fenders underneath it and one of the pivot pins came out of its hole.
Congrats on your new ride! I'm sure once you get these little things worked out, you're going to love her. (I have a '96 29 Fever single, BTW.)
Old 09-02-2003, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Jana, I will take a look at the pins...I assume you run your 29 in the Gulf...yes?? Enjoy the rest of the season, probably longer than ours up on Long Island Sound!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:03 PM
Registered

Not usually the Gulf - Galveston Bay. She's just about perfect for the Bay, but a little small for the Gulf (my opinion, anyway). Yes, our season is a good bit longer. I have fond memories of winterizing my little Donzi after a too short summer on Raritan Bay, NJ and not seeing her again until May. Where in Long Island, BTW? I went to college in Glen Cove.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm on the north shore in Stonybrook, about 30mi east of Glen Cove...very familiar with Glen Cove Harbor, however. Just started brushing up on my winterization list...season is just too short, especially with a new boat!

Ciao
Old 09-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

By the way, the dealer is checking with the factory about my problems...I will let all you Beaksters know the results.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Registered

Good luck with your new toy. I've been very happy with my boat and still looks new after 6 yrs of use.
Jana I grew up fishing on Raritan Bay in a little Boston Whaler.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:05 AM
Registered

Small world!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets see here, First congrats on your new ride you need to post some pics

Next, for your gauges fogging up I have no idea mine never have 2001 27???

As for the drive oil yes it is common for it to drop a little at first and a little everytime you change the drive oil, air bubbles are working out..

For changing props, I would wait until you find a set that are used, check this site and e-bay, and go for it, with twins you shouldn't loose much mid range.

WILL
Old 09-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, congrats on the new boat.

Second, the RPM range for the 6.2's is 5200 so you have a problem if you are turing 5300. My guess is you are right under the rev limit with the 26's and that is right where you should be with a normal load.

28's would probably get you in the 4900-500 range, you might think about getting a pair of lab finished 28's and see where that puts you.

Reggie for all his criticism usually knows how to set his boats up for top end, you can probably get a little better cruise with some prop changes but I am guessing there isn't a lot more to be had at the top with out spending some real $$

B1 props should give you the best overall performance, but hydromotives might give you a mile or two at the top but you will see a drop off in the fuel economy. If you can find a set of Mach 1's used that is what was used before the Hydro's and then the b-1's. They are kind of an inbetween prop as far as blade shape.

Overall I think you are in pretty good shape already, but as with the rest of us you can't leave well enough alone

Last edited by Von Bongo; 09-03-2003 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: New 29 fever owner with questions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.