Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Speed mods for 29 Fountain >

Speed mods for 29 Fountain

Notices

Speed mods for 29 Fountain

Old 09-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Ralph Rast

Default Speed mods for 29 Fountain

I have a 1998 Fountain w/Procharged engine (~750hp) with only 5 hrs on it. Does anyone have any set-up tips for which prop and any other mods I need to do to optimize speed? (Procharger ads claim the 29 Fountain gains 21 mph with the Procharger, so far I only gained 12mph on gps from my original HP500.
What trim and tab settings work best? Overall, what do I need to do to get the "21 mph" gain or did Procharger lie? Thanks for your ideas or referrals.

Old 09-12-2003, 05:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember that test, the boat had a 21 pitch prop and ran 58 mph before the Procharger! What pitch prop did your boat come with?
Old 09-12-2003, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralph,

Well 12mph is a pretty nice ROI, I don't think you will see your 29 going 95mph. Guessing you were already at 74mph.

Anyway need more info to help you out, What prop did you have? What prop are you running now? Also RPMS for top speeds? What is your X- Dim?

I hate false promises, The fastest 27 or 29 I have seen is Jim Valko's 27 running 97mph at LOTO Shoot out, and that is with massive power and stripped.

WILL
Old 09-13-2003, 10:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

check your X dimension.... my drive was pretty deep which caused the typical single engine 29 Fever planing problems (i.e. bow rise slow to get on a plane, etc.). We just installed an IMCO 2" shorty with an IMCO Extreme upper - boat handles totally different - better planing, better acceleration, less bow rise. I haven't got the top end numbers yet, as my GPS speedo isn't working.... (shorties don't have speedo pick-ups).

Boat is equipped with a 525SC w/ non-stock pulley.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:10 AM
Ralph Rast

Originally posted by INDY27
I remember that test, the boat had a 21 pitch prop and ran 58 mph before the Procharger! What pitch prop did your boat come with?
Hi Indy 27,
my 29 fountain fever with HP500 runs 70 mph (gps) with a 26" bravo prop. With procharged engine, I'm at 83 mph gps with a 30" lab bravo prop (speed was still increasing slowly but I only let the engine remain at that rpm a few seconds due to break-in period).
Let me know if you have more ideas. Thanks!

Old 09-14-2003, 06:21 AM
Ralph Rast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 27Fountain
[B]Ralph,

Well 12mph is a pretty nice ROI, I don't think you will see your 29 going 95mph. Guessing you were already at 74mph.

Anyway need more info to help you out, What prop did you have? What prop are you running now? Also RPMS for top speeds? What is your X- Dim?

Hi Will!
I'm running a 30' lab bravo at 5300 rpm to get 83 mph (gps speed was still rising slowly but I only let the engine run a few seconds there due to break-in period). I tried a 2" IMCO shorty (went slower) and a 1" shorty (no improvement from stock), thus I run a standard length IMCO lower now (reggie had it dialed in right) with 5.5" keel to prop shaft X dimension. Thanks for you help and any ideas!

Old 09-14-2003, 06:29 AM
Ralph Rast

Originally posted by dirtlawyer
check your X dimension.... my drive was pretty deep which caused the typical single engine 29 Fever planing problems (i.e. bow rise slow to get on a plane, etc.). We just installed an IMCO 2" shorty with an IMCO Extreme upper - boat handles totally different - better planing, better acceleration, less bow rise. I haven't got the top end numbers yet, as my GPS speedo isn't working.... (shorties don't have speedo pick-ups).

Boat is equipped with a 525SC w/ non-stock pulley.

Good luck.
Hi "dirtylawyer"

I tried those, see my responce in this thread series. My X dimension is 5.5" (thus, regular IMCO worked the best). FYI, the IMCO can be drilled for speed tube (all the passages are already built into it for a speedo) I have mine drilled (IMCO supplies the instructions). What prop, pitch, max rpm, and gear ratio do you have?
Thanks for your ideas/help.

Old 09-14-2003, 06:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ralph,
my boat went from 70 to 85.2 on gps, I have tried at least a dozen props and currently run a labbed 32 Bravo rh. I got 85.2 at 5200 with just myself and about 15-20 gallons of gas running in 1' chop last fall. In the summer heat I can get 84 just about any day and either way those last few mph come realy slow, about a minute or so at WOT! My boat is a 96 model and I plan on trying a 2" shorty soon, JIMV has one on his 92 27' and picked up 3 mph but lost some cruise speed. I am suprised that you saw no gain on your boat, did the shorty alter your planing time or anything else?
Old 09-15-2003, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralph,

Sounds like you are dialing it in pretty good. Just a idea but once you get the break in done, you may try upping the rev limiter to 5600, I read that whipple will run them that fast for the extra 1-3 mph. to get there you may need to lab your prop.

Good luck

WILL
Old 09-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Ralph Rast

Originally posted by INDY27
Ralph,
my boat went from 70 to 85.2 on gps, I have tried at least a dozen props and currently run a labbed 32 Bravo rh. I got 85.2 at 5200 with just myself and about 15-20 gallons of gas running in 1' chop last fall. In the summer heat I can get 84 just about any day and either way those last few mph come realy slow, about a minute or so at WOT! My boat is a 96 model and I plan on trying a 2" shorty soon, JIMV has one on his 92 27' and picked up 3 mph but lost some cruise speed. I am suprised that you saw no gain on your boat, did the shorty alter your planing time or anything else?
Hi,
What did you do to get your boat from 70 to 85 mph? How much hp & tell me about your motor.
My shorty made no significant difference in planing time, but the shorter the X dimension, the longer the planning time. My X dimension in 5.5" from keel to prop shaft with standard length drive.
My motor blew (2nd time this summer) even after it was dynoed! Two melted JE blower pistons, two "tulipped" Inconel exhaust valves, one melted sparkplug, and one disingrated valve seat!!! Good thing I kept my HP500 as a spare engine!

Quick Reply: Speed mods for 29 Fountain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.