"Faired" engine compartment >

"Faired" engine compartment

Notices

"Faired" engine compartment

Old 12-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Faired" engine compartment

Is anyone familiar with what Fountain means by a "faired" engine compartment?

I just got a 2005 42 Lightning fresh from the factory. I expected it to be a smooth gel coat finish that would be easy to keep clean and would also look cool. My 1985 Wellcraft had it!

What I got was a rough white finish that looks like they painted gel over the glass cloth.

Am I expecting too much, or did they forget to do the upgrade I ordered?

Also, my hatch cover mirrors get a big buckle in them after running for awhile and some heat is under the hatch. Is this normal? I'm talking a 3/4 inch buckle!

Thanks for the feedback.

Jerry
Old 12-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: "Faired" engine compartment

I can comment on the buckle in the mirrored. Mine was about a year old when I got it and there is also a permanent 3/4" buckle in it. I don't know if it grows when heated as I got the boat at the end of the season and it hasn't gotten very hot yet. It looks like they expected it to move as the screw clearance holes are enlarged.

I was going to see what I could do about it next year. Let me know if you solve the problem.

F
Old 12-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Registered

Cool Re: "Faired" engine compartment

I'll see what Fountain says on the mirrors.

How is your engine compartment finished? Smooth like gel coat or rough like fiberglass?

Thanks - Jerry
Old 12-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It looks like Fountain uses the same "Bilge Kote" white paint that most builders use. Both my 29 and 38 look the same, a glossy thick looking paint. Do a search and I am sure you can find many threads on it.

What doesn't look so good is the creme colored putty sealer they use around the thru hull cables and such. These must be done after the paint is applied. I suppose you could paint over them if you need to.

Is yours white or resin colored?

What engines you got in the 42? Must be sweet!

F
Old 12-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Registered

Cool Re: "Faired" engine compartment

Mine appears to be all white. I'm not seeing any of the "off white" you describe.

I set it up with a pair of 525's. I still work a lot and I have to have a boat that's ready to go on the weekend with a reasonable amount of maintenance. I enjoy maintaining it, but I don't like down time. The 525's are rock solid and should give me years of reliable service. I'll still be able to keep up with most V's in almost any water conditions.

Thanks again.
Jerry
Old 12-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

you will be more than fine with 525's Congrats
Old 12-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Registered

Any more feedback on someone out there with the "faired" engine compartment? I really want to know if I got my money's worth for the upgrade.

All Fountain owners... Is yours smooth gel coat (like a mold) or rough painted glass?

Still wondering?

Jerry
Old 12-07-2004, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2001 and the engine comp is the painted over glass, and I hate it it is a ***** to keep clean. I wish it was gel coated like the exterior of the boat.

WILL
Old 12-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Registered

2000 29' Fever --- rough painted over the glass. I second 27Fountain, it is a b**** to keep clean, and the sharp/pointy edges can be tough on the skin when working in the bilge! (not that I try to spend a lot of time in there!)
Old 12-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Registered

03 29' and it a huge pain in the arse.... Castrol Superclean works well....50/50 with water. The big pain was when I had my fuel pump changed and the proverbial footprints in there took hours for me to get out.

Quick Reply: "Faired" engine compartment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.