Fountain for Super Vee Light class >

Fountain for Super Vee Light class

Notices

Fountain for Super Vee Light class

Old 02-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fountain for Super Vee Light class

I agree, the 32 would fit the SVL class the best of any of the Fountain line. If the weight came in on target, it should be very competitive.

The problem is that it's out-of-production. I believe there's homologation rules stating that 5 hulls have to be produced to qualify. Don't know if that's current model year hulls, or overall production.

I've asked the homologation folks this question, but still waiting on an answer.

If this gets answered favorably, the next question would be to ask Fountain about the prospects of developing a deck mold for a 32 canopy. Seems to me that this program might draw some interest from other racers with a preference for Fountain hulls that want to move up (or down) to SVL class.

I've been holding off talking to the factory, waiting on a homologation answer.

The next step will be to get a shiftable Konrad drive thru the same process.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 02-16-2005, 11:31 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Brian,

Just curious if you have gotten any word on any of this???

Thanks
Dennis
Old 02-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered

No word from homologation folks yet. I'm at the Miami show right now, and I plan to visit the Fountain folks tomorrow morning to get an idea on fitting a canopy to an existing hull, or the feasability of building a top deck mold.

I'll let y'all know what I find out.

Brian
Old 02-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Brian,

Also inquire about what they think they would build for an SVL boat????

Thanks,
DPT
Old 02-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Registered

No problem
Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Registered

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Trying to catch up after the show.

I talked to the Fountain folks about a SVL project on Friday. It was interesting that they had already discussed this the night before during a Fountain team dinner in Miami, so they already had answers for me.

The twin-step 35 hull would be their target. Without the platform, it measures 32'11". This would put length at 5" over the 6" tolerance allowed by SBI/APBA. They didn't see weight as a problem, and a canopied deck mold already exists for the 35 hull. They thought they should look into moving the canopy backwards, because CG with 1 motor would change quite a bit. There would also be a fair amount of balance work to accomplish, because there isn't one 35 hull in existence anywhere in the world with 1 motor, and doing a canopied boat at 4800 lbs is new territory for them. They seemed excited about the prospect. They were also confident that a twin step 35 at that weight would be very competitive.

So, then there's rules. They believed that if there was some interest for this boat (ie: potential for the class to grow), they might be able to get a 5" variance on existing SVL rules. Fountain campaigns a bunch of boats with SBI/APBA, yet there's currently no place for the 35 hull to compete.

OSS is a whole different story. Their rules are governed by equipment owners. So the question would come down to - do SVL teams want to allow a hull into their class that has the potential to clean up? An interesting question.

On a side note, I understand that during F2 class meetings in Atlanta, the subject of drives came up. The Konrad 540 was discussed for consideration for homologation into the class. In the end, they decided against it due to the requirement for a tranny in it's current configuration. It's no secret that a shiftable drive is on their product roadmap, so allowing it in the future is a good possibility. Bottom line is that the Konrad name was brought up in equipment conversations, completely unsolicited. I saw this as very encouraging.

That's the scoop.
Brian

Last edited by p4-33; 02-23-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Brian. At least now if there are any potential people interested in wanting to run a Fountain in that class there may be a strong opportunity. Hope someone builds one soon. Is yours on order??

Thanks Again,
Dennis
Old 02-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Registered

Wink Re: Fountain for Super Vee Light class

Haven't ordered one just yet, I'll stick to p-class this year. This was a long-term planning exercise. It's a little late in the season to be starting a new boat, anyway.

All that's left is to find someone to buy me one. Interested?

Brian
Old 02-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

I wish I could buy myself one along with one for you. Not in my cards right now but hey you never know what can change right????

Last edited by DPT MOTORSPORTS; 02-24-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Registered

Cheers,
Brian

Quick Reply: Fountain for Super Vee Light class

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.