Cape Coral Politics Affecting Boaters >

Cape Coral Politics Affecting Boaters

Notices

Cape Coral Politics Affecting Boaters

Old 12-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cape Coral Politics Affecting Boaters

I'm gonna preface this with the statement that I've had a bunch of loud, really fast, fabulous boats. My four-engine Nor-Techs were ahead of the times 7-8 years ago. I've graduated now to my Quad Midnight, but I still enjoy the rumble of big blocks across the water. Personally, I prefer that mufflers be used in close quarters, but not everyone agrees. This post is for info only, NOT TO ATTACK ANYONE.

Even though my boat lives on my lift, I live only a block from the Cape Coral Yacht Club, and have an interest in my neighborhood.

This from the local newspaper, CC section, this morning:

City Councilman Thomas Hair, whose district includes the yacht club, has several ideas for how it can be improved.

Chief among them is moving the boat ramp off the Caloosahatchee River to nearby Floridian Court, which would provide more beachfront access for parkgoers. And he would like to limit the size of boats using the ramp so 35-foot-long "cigarette boats without mufflers" are not "lighting up in people's backyards."

We already know that with the privatization and condo-ization of previously-public waterfront facilities, you trailer guys around here have a hard time finding places to launch. This isn't good news for y'all!

We've had goodness knows how many threads discussing the noise issues. I've consistently said that unless performance boat owners realize that not everyone loves the rumble, and respect others' sensitivities, laws will be passed to limit their noise. This proposal goes way beyond decible meters. This will limit loud boats from even getting into the water!!

Please weigh in with your thoughts (no swearing, please). We know that Nor-Tech has already made mufflers standard on their boats. They use the CC Yacht Club ramp frequently to launch for testing. Should the government limit their ability to launch a 50' QUIET boat?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cape Coral Politics Affecting Boaters

The noise issue has nothing to do with the length of the boat. If noise is the issue they can impose a noise ordinance and not a general ban aimed at the length of a boaters dream. Especially when using public funds to restrict access.

SWF is gearing toward the fishing skiffs size boats. This is obvious by the parking and length of the docks made available at most state ramps.

Regarding the yacht club, I am sure a few of their members rumble up in their Harleys on a more frequent basis that a Cigar boat lighting up the marina.

When people who are in a position of power make a public statement their crusade has been launched. Backing down or failure is an embarassment. The fight is on.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Registered

I see both sides of this issue.
#1 I am a trailer boater, and a performance boater on top of it. There are very few ramps left that have parking sufficient for triple axle or long dual axle trailers, and as I have mentioned before, some #@%^&$ with a jet ski trailer will surely park there first.

#2 Noise: I too am a HUGE fan of big horsepower performance boats, but I am careful to use the Q&Q on the boat as soon as I launch it, so I am not known as "that loud damn cigarette boat" by anyone else using the ramp. When I am out in the open water, let it rip.

# I also agree with Menace on the Harley comment. One of the biggest complaints that the City of Naples gets on 5th Ave. South, are the motorcycles. The biggest offenders of that are the guys that feel the need to pull in the clutch, and rev up thier straight pipes right next to a restaurant that has outside dining. Not smart. Sometimes people are their own worst enemies. If they just ride down the street normally, no one would give a damn. The funny thing is, when they get stopped, they think they are getting picked on, not knowing that about 1/4 of our force are motorcyclists!!!!!!!

As far as the politician on the cape goes, I have first hand experience about what can happen when a few people start to complain about something that is not really a problem. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, so if nobody disputes their claims, bad things can happen!!!!! Time to fight........

Last edited by NaplesBaja; 12-30-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by The Menace
The noise issue has nothing to do with the length of the boat. If noise is the issue they can impose a noise ordinance and not a general ban aimed at the length of a boaters dream. Especially when using public funds to restrict access.

SWF is gearing toward the fishing skiffs size boats. This is obvious by the parking and length of the docks made available at most state ramps.

Regarding the yacht club, I am sure a few of their members rumble up in their Harleys on a more frequent basis that a Cigar boat lighting up the marina.

When people who are in a position of power make a public statement their crusade has been launched. Backing down or failure is an embarassment. The fight is on.
Very well said!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:36 AM
Registered

This thread has moved to the General Discusion section because of the National ramifications of these politics.

Please take a look at it there under "Cape Coral...", started by Salesmanship, and chime in.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone would like to e-mail the councilman it's
[email protected]

Thanks,
TS
Old 01-02-2007, 10:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by salesmanship
If anyone would like to e-mail the councilman it's
[email protected]

Thanks,
TS
I will do that Terry. As you know I have one of the quiter 50's since you installed my downturns earlier this year.
Bob