Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
Driver / Participant Info for the Molter Family Benefit Run to Naples, Feb 3/07 >

Driver / Participant Info for the Molter Family Benefit Run to Naples, Feb 3/07

Notices

Driver / Participant Info for the Molter Family Benefit Run to Naples, Feb 3/07

Old 01-16-2007, 01:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Driver / Participant Info for the Molter Family Benefit Run to Naples, Feb 3/07

This thread will provide essential information related to our Run on Feb. 3/07. Since it will be impossible to have a drivers meeting as such please read this thread. Be aware that the info may change and will be updated from time to time. Also please share this info with any non OSO that you know are coming. This will be the place to ask questions specific to the run and I will do my best to answer for you.

Registration / Participant Contribution:

Ft Myers Offshore does not charge an entry fee for it's events. Since the purpose of this Run is to raise money for Jennifur's future education, we are asking that a check be made payable to:
"The Jennifur Molter Trust". We are asking for $100.00 for the boat incl. driver and a further $25 to $50 for each passenger at your discretion.

Ft Myers Offshore members may pre register at any of our meetings prior to the event. This will lessen our workload on Saturday.

Also it is my intention to arrive at the Sanibel Bridge [ south side] early and drop anchor. On your arrival there, you may come alongside if you are comfortable with that, and submit your contribution. I will hang fenders over both sides. We will not delay the start over this and if you do not get to submit your contribution at Sanibel, please bring it to my boat [PREDATOR] on arrival at Bayfront. I will be in a slip next to the CABANA.

When we receive your contribution, you will be given wrist bands for you and your crew, and a draw ticket for a pair of Giant XT Towels. You will get to have either your name or your boat name embroidered on. This is being donated by rockstrmkr, Hans and his wife in appreciation for your support of this great cause.
The draw will take place at 3:15 PM, just prior to our departure. 2 draws as they are donating 2 pair of towels.

You will need a wristband in order to be able to buy your lunch ticket at the tent. This is the only way we can keep the public from eating our lunch !!

We will have different color wristbands for driver, crew & volunteers.

So, in summary - submit contribution, get wristband & draw ticket, buy lunch ticket at the tent, lunch from 12:30 till 2:30 PM, draw at 3:15 PM, depart at 3:30 PM, safe ride home. There isn't that easy ! LOL

Safety:

Our theme for this run is " Have Fun, but Be-SAFE". Remember that the reason for this run is that there has been a tragic offshore boating accident, The following rules must be adhered to, in order to have a safe event:

1 ] STAY BEHIND YOUR PACEBOAT ALL THE WAY TO BAYFRONT, NAPLES !! There will not be any triple digit speeds on this run. This is not an event to run hard and fast on.

2] Life jackets must be worn and done up when running on plane.

3] Tether cords / lanyards must be hooked up and operational.

4] No alcohol to be consumed by participants until after the run is over. Note: this is a very high profile event that will be covered by radio, print and television media. As well there will be hundreds , no thousands of pictures taken. The eyes of everyone will be on us.

5] Keep a safe distance from other boats. There is lots of room on the Gulf, and no reason to crowd other boats.

6]Crew to extend both arms in the air when coming off plane, so following boats will know you are stopping.

7] VHF or Hand Held radio on board. Our working channel will be VHF 72. Emergency, channel 16.

8] Each Captain is required to operate his/her vessel in a safe manner and is responsible for the safety of the crew and those around him.

9] Familiarize yourself with Be-SAFE [ Boating Safety Association for Events ] Visit www.boatingsafe.org

10] Last but not least - Just use good common sense.

Safety Boat:

Bill Jennings will be following our group in his Glacier Bay, with a qualified medical person aboard. His roll will be medical only, and can not get involved in towing or mechanical breakdowns. Bill's cell number is 239 898 2219 and mine is 239 776 0481.

Start / Finish:
Boats should start to assemble on the south side of the Sanibel Bridge around 10:30AM to be ready for an 11AM sharp start for the run to Naples. The official organized end to the run will be when we have finished up at Bayfront sometime around 3:30PM and we make our way back to the open Gulf on our way home to points north and south of Gordon Pass. Although the trip home is not controlled in the same fashion as the trip to Naples please use the same procedures that got you safely there.

Route:

There will be three classes grouped according to cruising speed with separate starts approximately 10 minutes apart.

Group 1 will start first. This will be the " Big Dogs" capable of safely cruising at 70 MPH or more. The paceboat for this group will be Terry Sobo in his 36' Nor Tech cat. All boats in the group will follow Terry the full distance to Naples. He will set a safe, comfortable cruising speed according to sea conditions. We will not see triple digit speeds on this event. After the boats pass the last of the high-rise buildings on the Naples shoreline, everyone should fall into a single file formation in the area of Doctor's Pass. Just south of there we will have photographers positioned on the Naples Pier to take your picture. These will be shot at a slightly slower cruising speed to get good pics. Stay in single file as Gordon Pass [Naples entrance] is just south of there. On entering Gordon Pass all boats will come off plane and idle to Bayfront.

Group 2 will be lead by bobthebuilder in PREDATOR. This will include boats that can cruise comfortably at 60-65 MPH. We will start about 10 minutes later and our lane will be slightly closer to shore.
The procedure will be the same as Group 1, where we will fall into single file at Doctor's Pass for photo's off the Naples Pier. From there south to Gordon Pass and into Naples Bay. It is our hope that on arrival at Bayfront the Big Dog's will all be tied up and there will be minimal congestion. Expect rafting so have your lines and fenders ready.

Group 3 will be lead by John [ OSO Specialized] in his Baja 38 Special. John's group will consist of boats that can cruise comfortably at 45-50 MPH max. The procedures for this group are the same as above.

Notes: On arrival at Bayfront there will be help on the docks. Please go where directed unless there is a good reason. They will help you secure your boat.

Fuel / Distance:
The run from Sanibel Bridge to Naples and back is about 70 miles. With full fuel most of our boats can do that and then some without fuelling.
93 octane fuel is available at the Cape Coral Yacht Club on the Caloosahatchee River.
89 octane is available at the Naples City Dock and Marina in Naples Bay on our route.

Communication:
Interboat communication to be on VHF channel 72. Emergency channel 16. My cell is 239-776-0481.

Lunch:
Stoney's Steak House at Bayfront will be cooking up Black Angus burgers and boneless chicken breast sandwiches on an outdoor grille. Also they will be serving fruit tray salads and soda or bottled water. The cost will be $20.00 per person. Be sure to buy your lunch ticket at the tent.

After Lunch: Depart Bayfront for home ports at 3:30 PM.

Pictures:
We will have a photographer in a helicopter overhead taking group and individual pics along the way. Heli sponsored by CIG42X John Gregorio. Heli photographer sponsored by Donzi Marine.
Jayboat, Jay N. will be postioned on the Naples pier and will photograph the boats as they go by in single file.
Donna Cullen, Megabyte*3's wife, will be in PREDATOR taking water level shots while enroute.
While many pics will be posted on OSO following the event it is also our intent to make available to all participants and all of OSO a picture CD in exchange for a donation [ amount not yet set ] to the Trust Fund for Jennifur. More details on that to come.
Thank you to all who are helping to make this happen.

Tide Information: Caution : Looks like low tide in the morning. There may be a need for some to get their boat off the lift the night before.

Caloosahatchee River [CC Bridge] HT - 3:01AM; LT - 11:11AM; HT - 4:59PM

Punta Rassa [Sanibel Bridge] LT - 7:50AM;
HT - 2:43PM; LT - 7:02PM

Estero Bay [ Coconut Point ] LT - 8:29AM;
HT - 2:57PM; LT - 7:41PM

Naples Bay [ north end ] LT 7:59AM; HT - 2:02 PM;
LT - 8:01PM

Marco River LT - 8:02AM; HT - 2:15PM; LT 8:04PM

Waypoints:
Sanibel Bridge N 26 29 00; W 82 00 88
Matanzas Pass N 26 27 65; W 81 58 47
Big Carlos Pass N 26 23 15; W 81 53 61
Wiggins Pass N 26 17 25; W 81 50 14
Doctor's Pass N 26 10 38; W 81 49 03
Gordon Pass [ Naples] N 26 05 50; W 81 48 67

Weather / Sea Conditions:
Weather will be posted here and updated daily. We will be referencing NOAA and The Weather Channel. Final update will be early in the morning of our run.

Sat. @ 4:38 AM Feb. 3rd, The Weather Channel:
High 69 deg ; Cloudy with a few showers; 30% chance of precipitation; Wind - NNE @ 10 - 15 MPH; Sunrise 7:10 AM, Sunset 6:11 PM, Full moon.

NOAA Marine Forecast @ 4:38 AM NW winds 10 - 15 knots becoming North 15 - 20 knots in the afternoon. Seas 2ft or less. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Chance rain.
Small craft should exercise caution this afternoon.

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 02-03-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Driver / Participant Info for the Molter Family Benefit Run to Naples, Feb 3/07

Bob,
I think J Bird takes great pictures. I think he should sell them for the charity. We should take his costs and sell the pictures for more money. We know we all buy pictures at all our other events. This one is probably one of most important. I know I will be buying pictures, as I think we all should.

I spoke to Joe Spina today in Sarasota and said he will be getting back to me by the end of the week to see if he can make it to our run in his 36 Nor-Tech. He mentioned that even if he is not able to attend, he will be making a donation.

Bob, I can make this one without a fuel stop!

John & Michelle

Last edited by Cig42X; 01-16-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Re: Driver / Participant Info for the Molter Family Benefit Run to Naples, Feb 3/07

Originally Posted by Cig42X
Bob,
I think J Bird takes great pictures. I think he should sell them for the charity. We should take his costs and sell the pictures for more money. We know we all buy pictures at all our other events. This one is probably one of most important. I know I will be buying pictures, as I think we all should.

I spoke to Joe Spina today in Sarasota and said he will be getting back to my by the end of the week to see if he can make it to our run in his 36 Nor-Tech. He mentioned that even if he is not able to attend, he will be making a donation.

Bob, I can make this one without a fuel stop!

John & Michelle
Great idea John and I will explore with Jay. It was also mentioned to possibly take pictures at our lunch stop of the spectators placed in our boat in exchange for a donation to the Fund. There is much work to do and time is short. I will let you know on this and thanks.
Bob
Old 01-16-2007, 09:15 PM

Bob,
My deepest sympathy to the Molter family. I can only imagine what they are going through. It's times like these that one really appreciates what the 'boating community' really means.
I'm an outsider (Nashville, Tn {MCPA}), but I would most defintely buy some pics or a DVD. Wish you all were a little closer as I would surely like to join you. Naples area is just a tad too far to trailer at this time.
My prayers are with the family and friends. Thank you for taking the lead during this difficult time. May God bless.
I'm sending you a check Wednesday. Ken (Challenger 28).
Old 01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kenvik01
Bob,
My deepest sympathy to the Molter family. I can only imagine what they are going through. It's times like these that one really appreciates what the 'boating community' really means.
I'm an outsider (Nashville, Tn {MCPA}), but I would most defintely buy some pics or a DVD. Wish you all were a little closer as I would surely like to join you. Naples area is just a tad too far to trailer at this time.
My prayers are with the family and friends. Thank you for taking the lead during this difficult time. May God bless.
I'm sending you a check Wednesday. Ken (Challenger 28).
Thank you for your kindness and pledge, Ken. You are right, Nashville is too far to trailer but we are hoping some from around the state of FL will do that.
Thanks again,
Bob
Old 01-20-2007, 09:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

ttt
Old 01-27-2007, 08:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have spent some time tonight adding information to the opening post so I would like to bring this back to the top. It is an important read for anyone taking part. There is not much to be added now. Weather starting Tues to be updated daily and a few missing pieces. Should you have any comment or question please post or PM me.
thanks,
Bob
Old 01-31-2007, 06:47 PM
Registered

All DRIVERS please be aware that there will be a Naples Police boat near the Naples Pier as we go by. He will have his lights on, and will be at the minimum distance that we can pass next to the pier. In other words...DON'T go between the police boat and the pier and you will be fine!!!!!! Don't forget to smile and wave at the photographer!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by NaplesBaja
All DRIVERS please be aware that there will be a Naples Police boat near the Naples Pier as we go by. He will have his lights on, and will be at the minimum distance that we can pass next to the pier. In other words...DON'T go between the police boat and the pier and you will be fine!!!!!! Don't forget to smile and wave at the photographer!!!!
Thanks John. Also I got word tonight that the sailing regatta that was to be located just off the pier has agreed to relocate their coarse, south of Gordon Pass off Keywaydin. That is a relief. Thank you sailors !!
Bob
Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

Thats good news Bob, I guess the threat of the submarine really worked......L.O.L.

Quick Reply: Driver / Participant Info for the Molter Family Benefit Run to Naples, Feb 3/07

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.