Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collier makes arrests in connection with human smuggling

From www.naplesnews.com:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/..._4_boats_conn/

Collier makes arrests in connection with human smuggling
By Daily News staff

Originally published — 11:13 a.m., June 20, 2007
Updated — 11:46 a.m., June 20, 2007

The Collier County Sheriff's Office has arrested six men and impounded four boats in connection with human smuggling in Southwest Florida, the Sheriff's Office announced this morning at a news conference.

The arrests were made in four separate incidents:

• At 7:45 a.m. Tuesday, sheriff's deputies stopped a vehicle towing a boat on DeSoto Boulevard in Golden Gate Estates. The boat, a 36-foot Deep Impact valued at $200,000 was purchased by someone using stolen identity and believed to be used by someone involved in human smuggling, reports show.

Arrested for grand theft and dealing in stolen property were Lazaro Ivan Prieto, 40, of Miami, and Yoan Estenoz, 33, of Miami.

• At 9:15 a.m. Tuesday, a deputy stopped a vehicle towing a boat on Interstate 75 for a traffic infraction.The 29-foot Renegade boat had 10 life jackets in a forward cubby, a false floor and additional fuel valves. An additional fuel cell in floor of the boat was not properly inspected or ventilated and was carrying 100 gallons of fuel, reports show.

Two men, arrested and charged with unlawful conveyance of fuel, said they picked up the boat in Cape Coral and were on their way to Miami. Arrested were Jose Siles, 41, and Felix Hernandez, 43, both of Hialeah.

• At 11 a.m. Tuesday, a deputy stopped a pickup towing a boat for a traffic infraction. The 32-foot Carrera boat had more than 100 beverages, chips and cookies on board. An additional fuel cell on board was loaded with fuel and was not properly ventilated or inspected, reports show. Arrested and charged with unlawful conveyance of fuel was Miquel Hernandez, 31, of Homestead. Hernandez told deputies he picked up the boat from a friend to go fishing in Bonita Springs.

• On June 6, Mario Rojas-Santana, 45, of Miami, was arrested after deputies stopped his vehicle for a traffic infraction. He was towing a 32-foot Donzi boat, which was impounded by the Sheriff's Office. Rojas-Santana was not the registered owner of the vessel and provided deputies with a suspicious explanation of how he came in possession of the boat.

A few days later, Rojas-Santana returned to the Sheriff's Office and tried to use a fradulent driver's license to retreive the boat. He was charged with grand theft and dealing with stolen property and obtaining and using a driver's license by fraud, reports show.

The Sheriff's Office said investigations are continuing for these four incidents.

RELATED STORY
CUBAN REFUGEES LAND ON SANIBEL: A group of 22 Cuban refugees landed on Sanibel Island on Monday morning in good health after a night at sea, the second wave of such arrivals in eight days.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they buy the boats with false I.D.'s and cash deposits like 10,000 or so. People should be aware that if someone comes to buy a boat speak very poor english, has a bunch of money in cash and wants a large open fisherman. Get a clue . I don't care if you take the money, but don't give them a boat. There illegals bringing more problems here. We have enough already. They have been arriving on Sanibel island for a couple of years now and they get dropped off in front of some very powerful peoples homes in exclusive neighorhoods. I personally have seen them wandering down West Gulf drive in front of mega homes, bare footed and lost. Everyone is victim here excect the smugglers. I don't like to call the cops, but sometimes you have to.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Registered

There is alot more going on then you are reading. ANYONE with any type of a go-fast boat in this area be prepared to be stopped and questioned. If you have all your documentation, you will be fine. Please be cooperative and understanding. Yes, I have been stopped twice, even followed by the helicopter once.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by NaplesBaja
... even followed by the helicopter once.
Admit it, you like the attention.

Did you ask them if they got any good pix?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
People should be aware that if someone comes to buy a boat speak very poor english, has a bunch of money in cash and wants a large open fisherman.
According to CNN, racial profiling is wroooong, okaaaay....
Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NaplesBaja
There is alot more going on then you are reading. ANYONE with any type of a go-fast boat in this area be prepared to be stopped and questioned. If you have all your documentation, you will be fine. Please be cooperative and understanding. Yes, I have been stopped twice, even followed by the helicopter once.
It's funny that you say that because I live in the estates and was stopped hauling my boat. There were eventually three squad cars. They started of very stern but once they realized that all of my paperwork checked out they were very cool and BS'ed with me about boats for a while. I thought it was very strange at the time but after reading the above article it all makes sense to me know
Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered

John (NB):

Were all of those arrests a part of a sting operation or did they just happen to get lucky and catch 3 stolen boats in 3 hours and 15 minutes?

Just think about how many boats must get moved overnight when they're not drawing as much attention. Scary!

Strange when you think about it - 20 years ago our boats would be stolen and used to move drugs...Now they're stolen to move people.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Registered

anybody can get financing, you just have to know the right people...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered

And they busted another boat today on the Caloosahatchee.
another CC w/twins. Going to be some nice CC up for auction in the near future.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Registered

Terry - I can't believe that they caught another one!

Has anyone heard of a boat-jacking yet? All of these seem to be stolen while on trailers. Luckily no one's been told to jump in & swim at gunpoint yet...

Quick Reply: Collier makes arrests in connection with human smuggling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.