December 8th Fun Run & Overnite

Notices

December 8th Fun Run & Overnite

Old 10-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default December 8th Fun Run & Overnite

Folks:

With the help of Thunderstruck we have made arrangements with South Seas Plantation to host us for a fun run lunch on 12/8. We picked South Seas because there has been some talk of scheduling an overnight stay in conjuction with one of the runs. We don't have room rates or overnight dockage fees yet.

I am looking for an indication of how many would be interested in making the run and how many interested in an overnight at the resort. Please give me an idea, via reply to this post, how many boats and how many people would be interested in each option.

Check out their site:

www.southseas.com

Thanks,

Tom C

UPDATE 10/27/07:

So far, I count ten boats for lunch. Please give me an idea of how many people you might bring with you. I suspect that there are more than ten boat owners interested in a fun run. I want to make sure that South Seas plans for enough dock space. I also want to make sure that there is enough interest that it is worthwhile for them to keep that much dock space open for us on that day.

I see four boats for an overnite, plus some maybes. Obviously, we'll need more firm commitments as we get closer to the date. I expect we'll have some idea of dock and room rates for overniters this week.

TC

UPDATE 11/24/07

The Fun Run to South Seas is now TWO weeks away!! The November 24th run was a blast. So far, I have eleven boats responding. As I read the responses we have six boats for a day trip and five boats for overnight. All who indicated they were going to invite friends, now is the time to nail down their participation. We have estimated twenty boats for the lunch and ten for overnight.

I received information earlier today for room and overnight dockage rates - Thanks Aaron.

There will be no dockage charge for lunch-only participants.

Room rates via Travelocity are $179 for the night.

Rates via the South Seas website are $199 for the night. The $20 difference gives you the advantage of changing your plans.

In my experience, booking through Travelocity or another one of the room consolidators means that I pay for the room now. If my plans change and I must cancel my stay I have already bought the room and I'm not getting any money back. You decide which way works best for you.

Overnight dockage is usually $3+ per foot. South Seas has extended us a discounted rate of $2 per foot. Thanks to ThunderStruck for that savings.

Please post up if you are planning on attending and have just been lurking.

Thanks,

TC

11/27/07

Those of you who attended the Thanksgiving run can attest to how much fun we had. Those who were unable to participate are invited to join us on 12/8. Our route will be similar, the food fantastic, Bob has guaranteed the weather, and Jay has agreed to take some photos. What more could we ask for?

Following the format that has been established (liberally plagiarized from the Thanksgiving run info thread ):

Route:

Our starting point will be the south side of the Sanibel Bridge. Boats should assemble around 10:45 am and we will leave by 11 am sharp.

We will be in two groups, according to speed. Group 2 will be those boats capable of cruising at 50 - 60 MPH and will be the first to start, at 11:00 AM, travelling up the intercoastal waterway. A paceboat will be assigned to lead this group. Also please be aware that the intercoastal waterway can be busy and we need to respect others using the waterway.

Group 1 will be boats capable of cruising at more than 65 MPH and will start 5 minutes after Group 2 has left.

When we start our run we will go south and make a wide sweep around the bottom end of Sanibel Island ( do not cut the corner as this part of San Carlos Bay is shallow), eventually going west into the Gulf and then up the coast staying a couple of miles or more offshore. If the seas are too rough, then the alternate route will be to run up the Intercoastal Waterway.

In order that the run be long enough for some fun, the offshore group will make their way to the Intercoastal via Boca Grande Pass. They will then take the Intracoastal south past Cabbage Key to the channel leading to South Seas.

The Intracoastal group may go straight to South Seas, or continue north past Cabbage Key and meet up with the offshore group.

Docking details to follow as we get closer to the date.

Fuel / Distance:

South Seas Plantation, which is along the way has 89. 93 octane is available at Cape Coral Yacht Club only.

More distance info to follow ...

Food:

info to follow ...

Communication:

Interboat communication to be on VHF channel 72. My cell number is 239 398-9996. Anyone dropping out after the start should let me know so we do not spend time either waiting or looking for you. Leave a voicemail if no answer.

Pictures:

Our official photographer Jayboat ( Jay N ) will be aboard PREDATOR, I presume. We'll work on a better idea than Jay on a stepladder on Bob's boat.

Tide Information:

Marco River LT- 6:23 AM; HT - 1:05 PM; LT 6:14 PM
Naples Bay LT - 6:20 AM; HT - 12:52 PM; LT - 6:11 PM
Estero Bay LT - 6:56 AM; HT - 2:49 PM; LT - 4:39 PM
Sanibel Bridge LT - 6:16 AM HT - 2:36 PM; LT 4:23PM
Cape Coral ( Bridge) LT - 9:38 AM; HT - 4:51 PM; LT - 7:21 PM

Waypoints:

Marco Island: N 25 58 38; W 81 46 25

Naples ( Gordon Pass): N 26 05 50; W 81 48 67

Sanibel Bridge: N 26 29 00; W 82 00 88

Redfish Pass- ( South Seas, gulf side): N 26 33 14; W 82 12 70

Boca Grande Channel ( offshore): N 26 41 78; W 82 17 90

Where Intercoastal meets Boca Grande - : N 26 42 88; W 82 14 62

Weather / Sea Conditions:

TBD ...

Safety:

Each boat Captain is required to operate his vessel in a safe manner and is responsible for his / her crew and their safety. Familiarize yourself with BSAFE ( Boating Safety Association for Events ). Visit www.boatingsafe.org
When running in the Intercoastal Waterway be aware that this can be a high traffic area and we ask that other boats be given a wide berth and that the rules of the road ( waterway ) be adhered to.

Last edited by MegaByte*3; 12-04-2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: update 11/27/07
Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

I am good for an overnighter. I will let some of our friends up in Sarasota know that expressed interest in the overnight thing once we know the group room rate.
It just does not come any better than South Seas.
When we went there on a Poker Runs America event, even tho it was just a lunch stop, they gave us full use of their swimming pools and fascilities. No one wanted to leave. I expect they will extend the same priviledge to those that just want to make a day trip of it.
Thanks Tom and Aaron. This is a winner !
Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 10-24-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would definately be interested in coming, and might have some others that would join.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 PM
BRD
Registered

Hey guys ... I am definately interested in this run ... will advise on people , boat , ect ....
Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Registered

I'm in, of course
Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm in for at least the day trip.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in of course and will be spending the night, I should have room and dockage rates first part of next week.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Registered

Problem Chid is in for overnite!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SMITHBOY
Problem Chid is in for overnite!
Come on Mike...Its PROBLEM CHULD not CHID............

We are in too!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely in for the day trip and possible overnight.

Quick Reply: December 8th Fun Run & Overnite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.