Boat parking in the Cape? >

Boat parking in the Cape?

Notices

Boat parking in the Cape?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat parking in the Cape?

I get conflicting answers, including from zoning. Can I Park my boat in my driveway? Zoning says behind the back of house.(impossible). Someone else says they park in their driveway because the trailer is registered. Someone says as lond as it's hooked to their truck. Last winter the Cape talked about this, but nothing was revised. Does anybody really know without a big controversy and a ticket?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always understood it as you can not park in the driveway, but can in side and back of the house, also empty lots with owners permission.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Registered

Default Parking

I Would Not Recommend Parking Inn An Empty Lot With Owners Permission. I Had My Trailer Towed Out Of A Lot, With Owners Permission, Without Ever Being Notified. I Was Told By The City Code Enforcer They Are Not Required To Notify As Long As They Post A Notice On The Trailer Or Vessel. What B.s. ! I Had My Trailer In Impound For 4 Days At A Cost Of $400 Cash Only To Get Back. Can You Say Livid!!!!!!! I Love Cape Coral And It Politics. Oh Well Enough Venting. Just Wanted To Let You Know So It Doesn't Happen To You Or Anyone Else Here.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Registered

Here's the deal: in order to be legal, you must park BEHIND your house. If you park on the side yard, you are in violation of the parking code. If you park in your driveway, you are in violation the parking code. You MAY NOT park on ANY unimproved surface such as a field. Does not matter if you are hooked up to a vehicle or on a registered trailer, you may NOT park in your driveway for more than 24 hours without risking a ticket. That having been said, I've had my Baja on the trailer in the driveway for 2 weeks at a time and not been harrassed. It all really comes down to how forgiving your neighbors are and if code enforcement sees you.
HTH............
Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Behind a 6 foot fence on the side of our house I have my 38 Cig, my brother in-law's 35 Formula Fastech and my wife's 20 Donzi Minx, which I just sold. Very difficult to see from the roadway and have not been bothered by code enforcement.

See avatar on left.

Last edited by US MUSL; 10-31-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fabricator hit it on the head. You cannot park in a empty lot. I have empty lots on each side of my house. I use to park just on the edge of mine and mostly on the empty lot(even it was behind my house) I was given a warning (3 days to move it or be towed) I now have it on my lot behind my house. Luckily I still have empty lots to drive across to park it. otherwise I would be stuck storing it somewhere else.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US MUSL
Behind a 6 foot fence on the side of our house I have my 38 Cig, my brother in-law's 35 Formula Fastech and my wife's 20 Donzi Minx, which I just sold. Very difficult to see from the roadway and have not been bothered by code enforcement.

See avatar on left.
That's another way to get around it. DgDuck does it that way too. We've got a chain link fence to keep the puppy in. I'd hate to put up a 6' wood fence at my house, it just would'nt look right - and the neighbors wouldn't be too happy about losing their view of the river either.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by US MUSL

See avatar on left.
Yeah that is the way I did mine. Its been six months now and have not been bothered by code enforcement. But I also have some really nice neighbors.

Don
Attached Thumbnails Boat parking in the Cape?-p1010004-small-.jpg   Boat parking in the Cape?-p1010028%2520%2528small%2529.jpg  

Last edited by Maritime_Eng; 10-31-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Registered

I've also got very nice neighbors. They watch over my house like their own when I'm away. But there are also some self proclaimed neighborhood supervisors and they have nothing to do but mind your business. I remember a case where a city won a case of no parking in a driveway with regards to commercial vehicles or boats and trailers, but lost to the fact of parking them on the street. I can't fathom of a boating community making lots too small to comply with their zoning regs. I will park my registered trailer in my driveway very soon with my boat on it. My lift will be full with another. If anybody gives me any ****, the city will be talking about re-visiting the ordinance. It's too bad with all the problems in the cape and the world, my boat in my driveway will be an issue.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FUNITHESUN
I've also got very nice neighbors. They watch over my house like their own when I'm away. But there are also some self proclaimed neighborhood supervisors and they have nothing to do but mind your business. I remember a case where a city won a case of no parking in a driveway with regards to commercial vehicles or boats and trailers, but lost to the fact of parking them on the street. I can't fathom of a boating community making lots too small to comply with their zoning regs. I will park my registered trailer in my driveway very soon with my boat on it. My lift will be full with another. If anybody gives me any ****, the city will be talking about re-visiting the ordinance. It's too bad with all the problems in the cape and the world, my boat in my driveway will be an issue.
You have to remember that Cape Coral was a land scam dreamed up by the Rosen brothers back in the 50's. They marketed it as a retirement community to all the folks up north - they NEVER had a thought of what would come in the years ahead. Big trailerable offshore toys didn't exist then.

I'm not going to preach to you but,,,, I wouldn't waste your time, energy, and money phucking with the city over parking your boat in the driveway, they WILL win and they WILL get your money. The parking ordinances are too well written to be overthrown by one person.

I WILL agree with you, the codes are overbearing.

If there is an upside to it, it does encourage the trailer trash to live elsewhere..... the Cape has no slum - yet.