Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
This would make for a bad day on the water! >

This would make for a bad day on the water!

Notices

This would make for a bad day on the water!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This would make for a bad day on the water!

http://www.cape-coral-daily-breeze.c...rticleID=18911

I had a swarm of them take residence in my water meter box once.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered

Wow! Never heard of anything like that. We're out there all the time with our 16 month old. That's scary just thinking about it.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...Never heard of that on Water. I have seen it twice on land. Once in Chicago. I was doing some landscaping outside. The all of the sudden I see a pile of bees swarming overhead. Then thousangs. Well they ended up collecting on a tree branch. Then next day they were gone. Second time was last spring in the cape. I have some pictures. They came in to my neighbors house. A big swarm then settled on a tree branch again. We called a local animal control to remove them. He did it by hand. He said as long as you dont piss them off, you should be OK...I stayed clear!!
I'll try to find the pics in the next couple of days
Old 05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Registered

I was cutting the grass about a year ago, when I saw a swarm of them moving down the street. I ran into the garage and watched them all go into the water meter box. I called a bee keeper out of the phone book to come remove them. This guy was nuts, he comes right over, sticks his hand down into the meter box and digs out the queen. He put her in a bee box and all the others eventually followed. I asked him why he didn’t put on a bee suit, he told me there not aggressive when they have recently moved to a new place, because they don’t have any honey comb to protect. I also asked him how many times a day he gets stung. His reply....”50 to 100”

When it finally came time to pay him he said "is $50.00 ok"? That’s what Lee County pays him to remove them from their meter boxes but the city of Cape Coral won't pay...figures. Not that I am complaining I would have paid the guy five times that had he asked for it....I never want to see so many bees up close again!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

Saw a big swarm of bees down town cape once. Don't know what kind they were, and just seemed to be passing thru. Had a swarm of thousands move in once in a shed. Seems 2x4 const. uninsulated makes good honey combs. Had a bee guy spray and kill them, but I guess I should have called a honey guy and just given the flock to him, since they seem to be disappearing.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Registered

I just experienced this last wekend at my house. There was a small 1/2 inch hole in the wall with a stream of bees comming in and out of. I made the mistake of spraying them since I hadn't seen them there before. Next thing I knew there were thousands of tehm flying arround. No big deal I thought since they were outside. I watched from my pool cage. Next thing I know I am looking in at my bedroom and the window on the inside is covered. Holy $hit! i thought. Luckily they were not agressive. i called every exterminator and bee keeper in teh book. No one answered or returned calls until monday. They ended up pulling the queen out I guess and went to an adjacent tree branch. From there foaming wasp killer did the trick. A shop vac on the inside of teh hose sucked up the rest. What a way to come back from a good cruise on the water. It was straight out of teh movies. They whole back yard was a swarm at one point.