Discussion Thread - FMO, Inc. Winter / Spring 2009 Fun Run Schedule

Notices

Discussion Thread - FMO, Inc. Winter / Spring 2009 Fun Run Schedule

Old 10-28-2008, 05:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by US MUSL
Bob, please keep me in mind for Everglades City. I will trailer down to the 951 ramp near the Marco Bridge for that trip.

The Green Flash would be a great lunch stop and then possibly to Charlie's Pass to raft up on the beach for the afternoon or Fisherman's Village and then to the north end of Cayo Costa to tie up off the beach.

I have also thought that Cape Coral crew can possibly make a trip down to Gordon's Pass to pick up the Naples/Marco group and grab lunch at Parrot Key/Salty Sam's Marina (back-side of Ft. Myers Beach). Lots up docking and great restaurant setting. Next time I go by for lunch, I will speak to the restuarant/dock-master and ask about availability after the season or possibly before it ends in March or April.

The Joint Restaurant at Cape Harbor in SW Cape Coral would also be a great stop, but there is about a 35 minute idle from marker 99 entering the Caloosahatee River. After lunch, a cruise to the north end of Lover's Key (just south Ft. Myers Beach/Estero Island). Pristine beach to raft up at. I've have seen the Sea Ray ower's group tie up at this location before.

Naples boaters keep in mind if want to make the trip, but gas is a concern for the "north" runs, Wiggins Pass has a great ramp as does Punta Rassa which is next to the Sanibe Bridge that we always meet at. Both ramps are only $5 a day.

Just some suggestions. I can't wait until South Seas or better yet, Key West Worlds next week!!! I hope to see some of you guys down there.

Jack
Good stuff Jack.

Firstly you, Don and anyone else that want to hook up with us for the run down to Everglades City Seafood Festival are most welcome.

Just a few comments, questions for you or others:

Green Flash is good and with some creative rafting we could get 12 or 15 boats in there. Always have had great food there. In the past, I found we could best be handled if we got there before the 12 noon rush so getting there early would be key. Cayo Costa after would be great. This should be considered. What can you tell us about Charlie's Pass? I can't say I am familiar with it.

I like Parrot Key and like you say, docking is not an issue with Salty Sam's being right there. I find in season they are quite crowded especially on weekends. May be an idea to meet the Naples / Marco boats part way ( Bonita ?) before going into Matanza Pass. Also worth looking into further and considering.

Not sure about the idle you speak of at Cape Harbor. Kinda long. I have been into Rum Runners a few times but dockage is an issue there and never liked the bluehairs clapping and hissing at me on arrival. Actually I think they may now like the quieteness of the diesel and the rest of you will feel their wrath !! LOL I am curious about the nice beach you speak of at the north end of Lovers Key? Maybe we can work that into a run. Does it get crowded like Keywaydin?

Thanks for your suggestions. Certainly worth exploring.

See you in Key West next week. Boat will be at the Galleon marina.

Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 10-28-2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typoooo
Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder

What can you tell us about Charlie's Pass? I can't say I am familiar with it.

Bob
The spot where Hurricane Charlie ripped across North Captiva island on Aug 14, 2004. It is now pretty much closed up, but a very nice place to beach up. Just 1-2 miles North of South Seas Plantation. Nice soft clean bottom on approach from gulf. We go there lots during the summer.

I highlighted it in the yellow circle on the chart.
Attached Thumbnails Discussion Thread - FMO, Inc.  Winter / Spring 2009 Fun Run Schedule-hc1.jpg   Discussion Thread - FMO, Inc.  Winter / Spring 2009 Fun Run Schedule-hc2.jpg   Discussion Thread - FMO, Inc.  Winter / Spring 2009 Fun Run Schedule-hc3.jpg  

Last edited by AppSysCons; 10-28-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
The spot where Hurricane Charlie ripped across North Captiva island on Aug 14, 2004. It is now pretty much closed up, but a very nice place to beach up. Just 1-2 miles South of South Seas Plantation. Nice soft clean bottom on approach from gulf. We go there lots during the summer.

I highlighted it in the yellow circle on the chart.
Thanks Frank. I now know exactly where it is and how it got it's name. If we chose that site for a beach party, I guess we would always have the option of going up to Cayo Costa if it were blowing on the Gulf side. That's what I love about our Gulf coast boating - lots of protected areas for backup.

Bob
Old 10-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AppSysCons,

Thanks for the detailed photo and chart of Charlie's Pass.

Bob,

Now that you mention it, Cape Harbor may not be such a good idea. I always get an applause when I shut my motors down. An applause, with a lot of negative comments. Awe, the sweet sound of big block exhaust.

I will get back to you about Lover's Key after a little more research. See you next week. I will be docked at the City Marina Wednesday-Sunday.

Jack
Old 10-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody going to be out nov. 7 or 8 I know that most people will be down in the keys just checking would be leaving from ft myers beach looking to go either north or south weather permitting? thanks Rob dangelo
Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

myself and mike cross will be down nov 6 thru 10 we have twin 29 fountan cc
Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good I talked to mike yesterday. I will call him friday morn.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

There is still some time to bring your ideas forward for future fun runs. If you have some thoughts on this please share them with us here, by PM or e mail. Even if your ideas do not get used this year we will keep them in mind for the future. I also plan on re visiting past discussions along these lines to see what we can put together that would be interesting for the group.
The Ft. Myers Offshore, Inc. board will be meeting on the evening of November 10th to finalize our Fun Run schedule for the balance of this season. We will post dates and destinations here, as well as on our forum. www.ftmyersoffshore.org
Thank you,
Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 10-31-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize that Burnt Store Marina is somewhat far north for some, but they have excellent docking facilities, a great restaurant, and have welcomed power boaters in the past.

Also, last spring we spoke of a trip to Tarpon Point Marina Estates. It is very local for the majority of the group, and, perhaps we should consider this again.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
I realize that Burnt Store Marina is somewhat far north for some, but they have excellent docking facilities, a great restaurant, and have welcomed power boaters in the past.

Also, last spring we spoke of a trip to Tarpon Point Marina Estates. It is very local for the majority of the group, and, perhaps we should consider this again.

Burnt Store is a great destination Frank and with the price of fuel coming down, could well be in range. We had a group go in there one year, and they only did a mediocre job of looking after us. I was also in there with a larger group on a PRA event and they did a great job. I would certainly be in favor of giving them a try again.

I know one of the principles at T Point Estates and can explore that. We were to go there last year and the weather did not co operate. A number of us drove and had a good time. Great hosts.

Bob