Offseason FMO update

Notices

Offseason FMO update

Old 07-21-2016, 04:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offseason FMO update

As we look forward to our upcoming FMO season I hope everyone is enjoying their summer boating season. I would like to provide the membership with some updates on our behind the scenes offseason activities. While we have announced the schedule and made the usual arrangements for our runs we also completed another year of selecting and distributing scholarships to students in need.

Eric Belisle, John Wilkinson, and Myself were tasked with the selection process. We distributed scholarships in Naples, Ft Myers, and Cape Coral. In keeping with past practice and the clubs mission we aim to give help to the students that really need it. The students have good grades as well a genuine need. They apply with an essay attached describing their plans for higher learning and some info about themselves. This year I was involved in the selection in the Cape. It was not easy to choose. The level of achievement and the goals these kids set is truly astounding despite the adversity they face. Without going into great detail, some of these students have no parents and work three jobs as well as attending school and achieving high grades. Most are also heavily involved in various school activities including community service projects. I really don't know how they do it, they must have a 26 hour day!! Several will be the first in their family to attend higher education. These young adults are amazing! I was honored to be invited to present the scholarships personally at the Island Coast HS awards ceremony in Cape Coral. The students were very excited and thankful!!!

We would like to thank all our members, sponsors, and everyone involved for your support. You are what makes up our club and make this possible!!! Can't wait to see everyone on the runs!!

Thank You!!

Drew Phyfe