Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outboard question -- Verados (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100034-outboard-question-verados.html)

BURNSMAZZ 04-07-2005 10:01 AM

Re: Outboard question -- Verados

Have any of you guys seen the Evinrude infomercials on tv? I thought they were pretty interesting on the E-Tec.I was surprised when they compared the E-Tecs to the four strokes,if all that info is true which it probably is, I know if I was going buy a boat with outboards you would have to give the nod to the Evinrudes,they beat the four strokes in every category.

scottsumrall 04-07-2005 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by KaamaScarab30
E.K. He has Verado school scheduled later in the year.

I heard you sold the Mystique. Saw it on the GCO website. What are you getting next?

i cant say, but it will be in west monroe in 3 weeks. scott

fountain1fan 04-07-2005 11:43 PM

mike a set of 3 250 push a 34 fountain at 68. a trio of xs push it 74 . vd push it at 68 . as for the e rude put it up aginst a opti max xs and the info mercials yea right. what did they have the merc and yam proped with alum props. i need a real world test , not buy them some one like, power boat or bass master , :drink: boating ,..

Johno 04-08-2005 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by fountain1fan
mike a set of 3 250 push a 34 fountain at 68. a trio of xs push it 74 . vd push it at 68 . as for the e rude put it up aginst a opti max xs and the info mercials yea right. what did they have the merc and yam proped with alum props. i need a real world test , not buy them some one like, power boat or bass master , :drink: boating ,..

The Xs will rev higher(6500) against 5800 for the EFI. I also went with 250 EFI over the XS because of the 87 fuel issues.
So far I am real happy with EFI's even the fuel consumption.
Sure there will be a 300 XS coming soon.

Tim G. 04-08-2005 08:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fountain1fan

Nope. I set the boats up... :eek:
I think I ran 8 or 10 different props on the Verado. Tests were done with the best performing prop.
All was fair, and certified by an outside source. No BS testing.
I won't get into this too much on the General board.. But anyone can PM me and I'll have a DVD of the infomercial sent to you.
The supercharged beast is 150lb heavier than ETec, Drinks 45% more fuel, has the slowest accel of all tested, and is the most expensive. However it was definately the quietest of the bunch.
250XS does run better than the OPti, but not by much (260+hp) ETec 250 is 255hp.
Merc EFI and Opti have nearly the same top speed.. Opti just runs better overall.
Verado is no more proven than E-Tec.
Questions? Want honest answers? PM me.. glad to help.

Common misconception:
Likelihood of a simple upgrade going from a 225 to 275 Verado is slim to none.
See the OB mech has a computer for diagnostics. All the maps are loaded in hos computer. The software reads the serial number of the engine, and only unlocks the tune for THAT engine. The only guys that have this capibility are the engineers that developed the engine...
The E-Tec 225 and 250 are the same engine...Just a different computer tune. The 200 has differnet heads.

All the engines on the market today are very nice. Some just have their advantages over the others. Buyers need to do their research before jumping at something just because of the name behind the product, or current bandwagon...

***my above comments are not intended to insult, harass, poke at, or degrade the power on anyones boat.***

Me? I'm partial to the new Gamefisher 15hp.. In the twin engine setup of course.. :p

Tim G. 04-08-2005 08:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
fountain1fan-

I haven't heard how it ran yet... Dealer was rigging it not long ago...

Johno 04-08-2005 10:27 AM

Hey Tim,
What about an Etec 300? Hard to beat the Rude warranty.

Tim G. 04-08-2005 10:33 AM

Johnno-
The '06 model year is coming up in July..
I know our 115,130,150,175, and maybe a 200 based on the small block, are due in October.
They have been working on more HP, but I haven't been told of ETA.. It's probably going to be for the '07 lineup.
What I can say is that it won't be a 300.. :D

The 3.3l E-Tec powerhead has capacity to make 80hp per cylinder. That's 480hp. reliability is the factor.
Going bigger than a 300 really opens a can of worms... A 400hp powerhead is no god if the lower unit won't hang together...

Wouldn't a pair of 350hp OBs be sweet??? :cool: 700hps only weighing 1100lb total...

So keep running the Renegade... Repower in '07!!

dkwestern 04-08-2005 11:56 AM

Greta info Tim

Rocco 04-08-2005 12:33 PM

Thanks Tim G I got the E-Tec info the other day. Very interesting, Thank You !!!!!