Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any ideas on headliner install (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100040-any-ideas-headliner-install.html)

RUSSSR1 04-06-2005 06:37 PM

Re: Any ideas on headliner install

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Cool thread I was going to start up this very one so that I can try and plan out how I am going to do the cabin of my project.

Jon

I know I ain't been around in a long time but I sure would have thought that Formula would be floating by now :cool:
How did your fairing ever turn out??

I am doing the cabin of the cig this year I will follow and post what I am doing with mine.

Russ

Wally 04-07-2005 09:00 AM

This isnt a very good picture but a friend and i repleced the headliner of my old scarab. Its easier as a two man operation. I got the headliner from BoatUS. Its the shaggy type with foam backing. I got that cause the fiberglass was all irregular and i didnt want to waste my time sanding it all smooth. 3 cans of the 3M Trim Adhesive later it all looked great and we were both flying high!!! :D :drink: The headliner material only comes in 4' wide sections so we made the seam go right down the middle.
Make sure to put down some plastic on everything you dont want covered in overspray!! Last thing you want is trying to get off what feels like sandpaper on exposed parts! I got lucky and only missed one spot and goof-off took care of that no problem. :)

Audiofn 04-07-2005 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by RUSSSR1
I know I ain't been around in a long time but I sure would have thought that Formula would be floating by now :cool:
How did your fairing ever turn out??

I am doing the cabin of the cig this year I will follow and post what I am doing with mine.

Russ

Russ the fairing came out fantastic. Still have a lot more to do to the boat. We found rot every place that I looked so I am cutting out every piece of wood on the boat and replace it. To add to it I have been so damn bussy with work that I just do not have the time to spend on it lately. :(

Jon

32 thunder 04-08-2005 01:32 AM

Anymore ideas

cji 04-08-2005 02:29 PM

Wally,

Would you say the fuzzy headliner material holds moisture any more than the vinyl with the foam backing?

Wally 04-08-2005 04:04 PM

Moisture was never a problem in my boat. even with putting wet clothes and such in the cabin it never did anything to the headliner.

AIR TIME 04-11-2005 07:18 PM

ttt

Wally 04-12-2005 09:08 AM

About the only advice i can offer is to follow the instructions for the adhesive to the letter! We rushed on the very last part of it and i think it wasnt tacky enough....it went up no problem but later that summer it started bubbling near the corner that went up last......i just peeled in down and redid it...never a problem after that :)

Oh another thing as far as moisture that was mentioned before......during winter layup i always put in one of those moisture captureing buckets they sell at BoatUS and such. It takes any moisture you may get during the changing of the weather before it gets into all the upholstry etc.....I also put shhets of Bounce around the cabin to keep it smelling nice come spring. And from what i've heard it keeps rodents away from making nests in there too! :)