Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What's the best cleaner for seats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100186-whats-best-cleaner-seats.html)

JUSTONCE 04-08-2005 09:11 AM

Re: What's the best cleaner for seats?

yes,
yes, &
yes :D

Rippem 04-08-2005 09:11 AM

there are several manufacturers and grades of marine vinyl in terms of chemical make-up. Avoid anything with a solvent in it as vinyls are a petroleum product. Test an inconspicuous area first. Westleys is effective. SoftScrub leaves too much residue to rinse away. Baking soda is relatively inert and safe. I have always used spray nine with excellent results, no negatives I have ever seen over 15 yrs and six boats. For tougher stuff you have to let it set and soak, or multiple applications. Don't forget...be patient, a couple of days in the sun will take care of the mildew stains. The UV will bleach 'em right out!

haven't tried the magic eraser yet...remember dont rub so hard with something like that to the point you scuff the "gloss" off the vinyl, or flatten the grain.

I'd give it a mellow once over and then out in the sun for a couple days...then you'll know what's left to be dealt with. You'll be suprised what the UV will do. Though this early depending on where you are the UV isn't that intense yet.

masher44 04-08-2005 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTONCE
yes,
yes, &
yes :D

AGREE! They work wonders... fast and cheap....!!!!

RichardP 04-08-2005 09:30 AM

What about after your done cleaning, do I need to put a conditioner on the seats and stitching to keep it soft.

THe Maguires sounded good because it has a conditioner in it already.

I'm going to buy the Spray Nine and the Magic Eraser today and try it tonight. Maybe I'll try the Baking Soda also. I'm just concerned about using a wheel on the seats and burning them. I realize just like the fiberglass, you have to keep moving.

ClassCig38 04-08-2005 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by RichardP
THese Magic Erasers will make the seats white again?
Does Wall Mart sell these?

Do you need to beleave in magic for these to work?

Hi! from a boat chic.....clean freak. The Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work awesome for seats, fenders. They are white sponges. Just wet them and scrub, wipe. Make sure you follow up with a clear, clean water rinse.
:bunny:

racer-x6 04-08-2005 11:07 AM

Someone told me that he used clear Chap Stick on the stitching and then wipe it with clean rag to prevent water from getting in, anyone heard of this and does it work?

Rippem 04-08-2005 11:08 AM

303 for conditioning...recommended most by vinyl manufacturers.

you've got the right idea, start out mellow and don't forget the UV...UV is a non chemical bleach.

Rippem 04-08-2005 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by racer-x6
Someone told me that he used clear Chap Stick on the stitching and then wipe it with clean rag to prevent water from getting in, anyone heard of this and does it work?

for when you're cleaning the cockpit with a fire hose? :eek:

RichardP 04-08-2005 11:18 AM

Rippem,
What do you mean "Don't forget the UV"

burtandnancy 04-08-2005 11:20 AM

A lot of cleaners do a great job on the vinyl but kill the stitching. If you use the wrong stuff your seats will fall apart by the end of summer...