Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking for a good, cheap, color GPS ? What do you recommend ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100264-looking-good-cheap-color-gps-what-do-you-recommend.html)

bglz42 04-09-2005 06:24 AM

Re: Looking for a good, cheap, color GPS ? What do you recommend ?

I'm buying a Garmin 172. Lower profile than a 182, (I have clearance problems), and it's only $465 or so on the 'net. Internal antenna.

CMG 04-09-2005 07:10 AM

This is what I use with my Ipaq 5500 and Maptech software

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Navman_G...HARD~CLT-HSNLF

It fills the need but do wish had a bigger screen / in dash.

Pantera -- do you have a chip for Winnipasaukee??

glassdave 04-09-2005 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rippem
NavMan 5500. Do the research. C-Map NT+ charts, fuel flow options, color, $175 rebate right now thru 6/30. Best damn deal in a color plotter right now period.

also available with internal antenna for $20 or so less if you don't want a seperate one.

great unit for the money. i just got the flowscans for mine this year. dosent someone on the board sell GPS stuff? i need to get a few accessories for mine.

NJgr8ful 04-09-2005 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rippem
bingo.

thanks Rip ... That Navman 5500 sure looks like a good deal w/$175 rebate! .... hmmmmmm

Rippem 04-09-2005 04:36 PM

they've been very dependable also...good quality stuff. I've done alot of research. I'm most likely gonna order the 5500 soon myself.

about $495 (internal ant), $515 (external) before rebate many places on the 'net. Boatfix, Planet GPS, BrokenlegDave. Go to the NavMan website to get more info, and download the rebate form.

The 5600 is an inch bigger sceen, otherwise identical to the 5500...not worth $250 to me for an inch of screen. The 5500 is the buy.

www.navman.com/marine/index.html

dyno 04-11-2005 05:15 AM

Who makes the Navman? I've never heard of them...I've used Garmin in the past but they pissed me off when they wont service mine....its "obsolete" they tell me I wanted to use it for a back up.

LakeRacer 04-11-2005 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by glassdave
great unit for the money. i just got the flowscans for mine this year. dosent someone on the board sell GPS stuff? i need to get a few accessories for mine.

I sell GPS equipment and have sold a few items to some of OSO members. My selection is limited however; limited accessories too. I have a few Garmin models that you might be interested in.

Garmin:
GPS 12, GPS V Deluxe, GPS 76, GPSMap 276C, GPSMap 178C, GPSMap 76CS...I can also get some of the eTrex models and Rino models.

If you're interested in any of this, tell me what your best pricing is and I'll see if I can beat it. I might also be able to do a OSO group purchase. Honestly, I don't buy the same kind of volume that some of the GPS discounters online do. But I'll try my best to give you a better price.

bglz42 04-11-2005 08:48 AM

Wow, that IS a deal on the Navman. Plus, I still have a C-Map card from my Standard Horizon.

The fuel flow is interesting, too. I use one on my cruiser (Standard Horizon GPS/fuel flow monitor) and it's a nice thing to have. I wonder how they flow?

Jim

YELLOW7 04-11-2005 03:46 PM

This is probably a dumb question but does this Navman 5500 track where you went so when you coming back you can just follow the line ?

I want to make my safe, stump free paths around the lake so I can just follow them each time and know that I'm safe.

Rippem 04-11-2005 04:27 PM

NavMan is stand alone, out of Australia, though recently purchased by...

you guessed it, Brunswick!

I've been meaning to ask about "trackback" myself. Most all units today allow for "reversing" your route, regardless if they call it a seprate feature. I just don't like Garmin's bluecharts. C-Map NT+ is the standard of the industry and is going to blow them all away with the just introduced "MAX". Check it out on C-Maps' website! If you submit a question on the NavMan website you'll get an answer in about 48 hours or you can call, they are quite responsive. I recently asked if port/starboard fuel flows are both shown on the fuel screen simultaneously...and the answer was "yes".

These units have the latest chipset technology in them, they are quality, though better known in Australia and Europe.

EDIT: lowest price on 5500 http://brokenlegdave.com