Notices

Konrad and TRS?

Old 04-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Konrad and TRS?

OK, I'm gonna ask what many of you may consider a stupid question (but, by now, I should be known for that...)

I'm not a wealthy man (by any means) but looking at an '83 with TRS drives. My old boat had a single TRS - 454 setup, so I'm somewhat familiar with them, and I really did like having the BW Trans when I was around the dock.
So here's the question:
If I blow out a TRS and can only afford ONE Konrad for that season, will I have any problems running the 2 different drives together? Just to finish a season? (aside from launching, where I'll look like the guy that show's up to his own wedding wearing a blue sock and a black sock).
I would be able to set some money aside over the off season for the SECOND drive, But I don't want to lose a season because I trashed an outdrive early in the season (not to mention having to hear the wife b$tch that we aren't boating all summer, but making payments).
I'm no longer afraid to look at a boat with TRS drives after reading reviews on the Konrads, But, I know when I tore up the TRS on my Baja I had a hard time finding parts.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Konrad and TRS?

Still tons of trs's and parts around.. I would think a Konrad and a trs would run fine as long as they are the same ratio
Old 04-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Standard Konrad is shorter then the TRS. But you can get spacers to make them even. You will need to replace the hubs in the props to XR hubs.
Also you will need to make sure any external steering components line up on the 2 drives. ie Tie bar etc.

I am changing my boat to Konrads right now.

I do have 2 sets of TRS for sale if you want to buy a spare set thats what I did and never missed a weekend. Then when you save enough for the Konrads you can sell the TRS's for what you paid for them.

If your interested in any of them let me know.

Also my brother is the Midwest Konrad distributor we can set you up.

Mark
Old 04-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Registered

Yeah, I'm working on a limited budget, and don't want the boat to sit because I don't have the money for repairs, or worse, I spend the money on repairs and can't afford to use it.
The wife (my accountant) is moving some $$ around, and I might be able to swing a loan for an old 35'
Just thinking of worst case scenarios.

I was still out today ripping apart the 19' Wellcraft we have, and doining photoshop ideas to it, I'll still putz with it, but I NEED TO GET ON THE WATER!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered

MrCig. I'll keep your offer in mind if a deal goes down. It will be a month or two (at least), but thanks for the offers.