Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   USCG Documentation vs. State registration (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100454-uscg-documentation-vs-state-registration.html)

bgchuby01 04-11-2005 10:02 PM

Re: USCG Documentation vs. State registration

if you document your boat with the government you do not haveto regester it

NJgr8ful 04-11-2005 10:38 PM

2 votes for 'NO' ... 1 vote for DE ... 1 vote for returning pair of missing sunglasses :D

Doug 04-12-2005 12:33 AM

On the Documentation form you fill out they ask for a hailing port, that does not have to be the state you live in but you DO have to have a registration from that same hailing port state. Believe me I went round and round about this with a Michigan sheriff in St Joe. No ticket but he was right.
I live in Indiana and you have to pay an excise tax like Payton said every year on everything. A few years back I heard they where going to pass a law and charge for lawn tractors but it didn't go. I think my boat was going to be $500.00 a year. I put my hailing port as Cincinnati, Ohio so I pay for my Ohio sticker once every three years and thats it.
I was talking to some Coast Guard officers at the Indianapolis boat show and they were telling me all the ins and outs. There boats were documented in Delaware. The best one is not paying sales tax when you buy a boat. Read the rules closely its there. The Coast Guard isn't interested in a title, they are only interested in the Bill Of Sale. Thats why they post the forms on there web site. You just transfer the Documentation from owner to owner.

offshoredrillin 04-12-2005 04:40 AM

I'm going to check with Maryland DNR, my Tiger is documented, but dont want any hassles from water cops if I dont have stickersor numbers like the rest of the Maryland boaters.

DiabloFemina 04-12-2005 05:16 AM

Go here

www.boat-ed.com

Click on the Jersey link and go through the chapter covering registration and regulations.

FL does not require it if you have USCG registration, I'd imagine NJ is no different, being that it's on the ocean.

blownincome 04-12-2005 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by DiabloFemina
Go here

www.boat-ed.com

Click on the Jersey link and go through the chapter covering registration and regulations.

FL does not require it if you have USCG registration, I'd imagine NJ is no different, being that it's on the ocean.

It is My understanding that if your state borders a international body of water it is not required.. This includes the great lakes ..

WhataConcept 04-12-2005 05:41 AM

I did not see a link to New Jersey on that website, but I was trying to do some research on the http://www.njsp.org/faq.html#marine site, there is not that much information on New Jersey boat registration but it looks like you will have to registry your boat in the state of New Jersey. I know that Virginia law is you can not register your boat with the state of Virginia if it is registered with the USCG, here is the Virginia web site that states that if anyone is interested...http://www.boat-ed.com/va/handbook/register.htm. Seem odd that each state is different, but it appears they are.

berns29scarab 04-12-2005 06:59 AM

i was having my 29 scarab reg'd and doc'd last year..in Jersey you MUST have a reg according to the state marine police wether its doc'd or not...i wasnt sur eeither so i went to the state police barrack in point and was told doc'd or not must be reg'd...oh and never got my scarab doc'd because it didnt have enuff tonage

Chris Sunkin 04-12-2005 07:08 AM

The Coast Guard recognizes USCG documentation. That's good when you're in the ocean. If you're on inland waterways, you're likely dealing with a county sheriff's water patrol or the state's division of watercraft's officers. 90% of these people have no idea what USCG documentation is and the 10% that do, don't care.

If you're stopped in Ohio and don't have an Ohio registration sticker or one from another state, you're going to get hassled. The state wants the $$, not only from the registration but from the sales (or use) tax. I know from experience- I got hassled and stood my ground- next time out, I had my Apache 41 seized and impounded. I paid the sales tax and a big fine and the sea-tow and storage charges. The ODNR went out of their way to show me they meant business.

Maybe I could have fought it and maybe I could have won on the documentation issue. I could have also been criminally charged for avoiding the sales tax.

DiabloFemina 04-12-2005 07:13 AM

I would think the state cannot regulate boats on waterways with ocean access that are registered with the USCG. USCG registration is a Federal registration and the state would have no ground to do anything (assuming it's on a waterway with direct access to Federalized waterways).

Now, Ohio, you might have a problem. Especially if driver's license is Ohio. If you're from a different state, there isn't **** they can say, cause it's not illegal to take your boat into a another state, as long as it's properly registered in your home state (and in my case, FL recognizes USCG registration as acceptible.)