Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Another Boating Blooper (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100557-another-boating-blooper.html)

PatriYacht 04-14-2005 07:45 AM

Re: Another Boating Blooper

My straps are getting kind of old. Maybe I should get some new ones.

WARPARTY36 04-14-2005 09:29 AM

It did not happen in this case, but the tunnel on a cat is designed to lift the boat. Whether it is on the water or on the trailer. I have heard some stories of cats trying to lift the back of a truck at extreme highway speeds.

Robert Chrisco
Process Mfg.
(918)445-0909

SummerObsession 04-14-2005 09:35 AM

It's really unfortunate that something like this happens to the owner of a new boat. I can't imagine how I would feel. :( :(

I have drooled over this very boat for sale for quite some time. Although the repairs can be made, you would never quite have the same feeling of owning that "brand new-never been touched boat" again.

I know I don't use transom straps NEAR as often as I should. I have a bow strap and a safety bow strap on my trailer, so that lulls me into a false sense of security. Not any more. I would like the info on those trick custom transom straps too please!!

I'm sure most of you that have been slamming this guy are perfect and never make any kind of mistakes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , but for the REST of us, my condolences go out to the owner. I hope the boat is back on the water VERY soon, and the enjoyment of this incredible piece of machinery overshadows all this disappointment.
Good luck.

P.S.- I would not hesitate to purchase this machine, should it come back up for sale. :D

SeaRay Jim 04-14-2005 09:36 AM

I always use transom straps, but on Monday I actually went up and installed a safty cable made of 1/4" cable looped around the trailer frame for the bow. I've been using a small strap along with the bow strap, but launching the boat once, I forgot to remove the safty strap and snapped it. I've meant to add a chain or cable for a long time and finally did it. Ironic timing..... :)

Back4More 04-14-2005 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It seems the boat came with transom straps but as can be seen by this pic...they aren't used much.
I keep telling my buddy with a Cig Tiger to use straps but he never does...soon I will be posting his pics also.
BTW, Thats around $50K in damage...Parts and Labor...Sorry to see that happen to anyone.

Slick02 04-14-2005 10:24 AM

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase,,,land yacht..

GLH 04-14-2005 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Joe
.... Yes, it came from Randy. But, there's a question as to liability. "Supposedly" the boat had already been officially, "Delivered" but a Fastboat.com driver was behind the wheel...

If there is a way Mr. Sweers can slider out of responsibility he will try to is my guess.

Sorry for the individual that owns the boat.

Mr. Sweers rig pulling the boat, his driver...wherever resposibility will be determined it will be a pain in the neck to deal with.

I can't think of a better guy than Randy Sweers for this to happen too.

JROMY 04-14-2005 10:31 AM

I feel bad for the Owner in this case. To me, this is simply one of the real "accidents" that can happen to any of us...and is the reason we have insurance. It's not like the guy was driving 45mph in reverse, slamming on his brakes, and saying "hey guys, watch how well the boat stays on the trailer". Sh@t happens....

Outdrive1 04-14-2005 02:13 PM

It is an unfortunate accident for the owner but if anything good does come out of this, how many of us will make sure that we have a bow and transom strap or chain or whatever before trailering your boat anywhere? I know I always do it anyways, I was told by my manufacturer that bouncing around on the trailer can cause stress cracks. Maybe true maybe not but I bought it and I always strap the bow and transom down. I just use cheap straps from Homedepot, I think now I will get some heavier duty ones that may actually hold the boat in case of an accident. Maybe even a cable or chain for the front. I have a close friend that never straps his boat, not even when driving to Havasu 200 miles away, I think after these pictures he'll start taking the extra five minutes for the piece of mind of not seeing his rig on laying on a slab of concrete..........
I dont think anyone here means any disrespect by cracking a couple of jokes here and there, we've all made stupid mistakes before. Nobody was killed of injured, just somebody's pride was hurt a little bit. It's good that we can all discuss it here and learn from others mistakes.
Unlike the accident with the Sunsation last week, this was just a stupid oversight, not a case of some a$$hole acting recklessly and dangerously.
I still believe, paid for or not it should be the responsibility of the company trailering the boat, the owner wasn't driving, it wasn't in his possesion. Just my .02 cents.........

SLINGSHOT 04-14-2005 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
If there is a way Mr. Sweers can slider out of responsibility he will try to is my guess.

Sorry for the individual that owns the boat.

Mr. Sweers rig pulling the boat, his driver...wherever resposibility will be determined it will be a pain in the neck to deal with.

I can't think of a better guy than Randy Sweers for this to happen too.

did randy do you wrong?....have bought 4 boats from him not an issue once