Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What kind of HP numbers for mecury 525's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100604-what-kind-hp-numbers-mecury-525s.html)

MikeFormula 04-13-2005 05:23 PM

What kind of HP numbers for mecury 525's

Has anyone actually dynoed these motors or have known people to have dyno testing done on the 525? If so what are the actual numbers hp and tq, and are they pretty flat across the board? I've heard that Mercury underrates these motors is this true? And what is the easiest way to get more power out of these engines? I know a blower is always an option but it doesn't look like there are to many companies( Whipple maybe Procharger but haven't really seen anything from Procharger for this motor though) that have kits for the 525 a lot for hp 500's, but not for the 525's. What kind of reliable horsepower after a blower is added.. What about porting of the Edelbrock heads any power there or computer reprogramming?
Thanks for your time.
Mike

Strip Poker 388 04-13-2005 05:58 PM

Re: What kind of HP numbers for mecury 525's

Originally Posted by MikeFormula
Has anyone actually dynoed these motors or have known people to have dyno testing done on the 525? If so what are the actual numbers hp and tq, and are they pretty flat across the board? I've heard that Mercury underrates these motors is this true? And what is the easiest way to get more power out of these engines? I know a blower is always an option but it doesn't look like there are to many companies( Whipple maybe Procharger but haven't really seen anything from Procharger for this motor though) that have kits for the 525 a lot for hp 500's, but not for the 525's. What kind of reliable horsepower after a blower is added.. What about porting of the Edelbrock heads any power there or computer reprogramming?
Thanks for your time.
Mike

Mark at Presision Marne in LA has done a few of them . I even seen a video clip of it. Try him :D

They havent cracked the computers yet on them . There changing them out .

Rob

JCPERF 04-13-2005 07:21 PM

They will vary from 538 to 557HP from Mercury.

Mentalpause 04-13-2005 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
They will vary from 538 to 557HP from Mercury.

I know it is early in the 600 life - but has anyone done these same tests on the new 600s. Early numbers from a number of manufacturers don't seem to justify the price of the 600 over the 525, but everyone is trying to get the setup right so far, or at least that is what they are saying. It would be interesting to know just how much HP those 600s are putting out.

JCPERF 04-13-2005 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
I know it is early in the 600 life - but has anyone done these same tests on the new 600s. Early numbers from a number of manufacturers don't seem to justify the price of the 600 over the 525, but everyone is trying to get the setup right so far, or at least that is what they are saying. It would be interesting to know just how much HP those 600s are putting out.

The 600s can make 750 with a simple program change.They probably make 600.They are about 2 to 3 MPH faster than the 525s.The reason being is Mercury will debut a new drive soon that will be rated for more power than the Bravo.When that drive is released they can turn up the power on the 600s.My guess is they are covering their a s ses by doing this.

Mentalpause 04-13-2005 10:01 PM

Thanks JC. It will be interesting to see how soon they do this. I am probably 2-3 months from having to make my power decision.

GLH 04-13-2005 10:03 PM

525?

JCPERF 04-13-2005 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Thanks JC. It will be interesting to see how soon they do this. I am probably 2-3 months from having to make my power decision.

The Merc motors run flawlessly.

Outdrive1 04-13-2005 10:15 PM

The 600 retails for 58,000 with a drive? It better run flawless.........

Mentalpause 04-13-2005 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
The Merc motors run flawlessly.

I thought the 600 I went out in at Miami actually behaved around the docks better than the 525s. And the midrange pulled better. The only thing I was somewhat disappointed in was top end. But then again they probably have a ton of potential for tweaking for more power for very little cost. Like you indicated, a few small tweaks and you can be at 700hp.

They are rated to run 92 octane in them. Interestingly enough, one of the merc engineers that worked on the project told me they would run fine on 87, but they wanted to be conservative when they put out their guidelines.