Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Drive from Volvo, has prop infront of drive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100627-new-drive-volvo-has-prop-infront-drive.html)

fund razor 04-14-2005 08:46 AM

Re: New Drive from Volvo, has prop infront of drive

Originally Posted by super termoli
It'll probably work for express cruisers but it's definitely not for HP stuff.

Then you are in agreement with Volvo, who designed it for cruisers. Not for high HP, high speed boats.

No probable about it. It has proven itself as a reasonable alternative to V-drives and rudders.

As far as choosing between having the entire boat sink, or the lower of the drive sink. I pick the drive. My buddy has a donzi with twin Volvo 270 drives. His Dad hit a log in the river on a dark night, hard. The drive absorbed the shock and separated. He marked the location of the mishap and he returned to the dock on the remaining drive.
Called the insurance company and they paid for a diver. Brought the drive up and it was inspected and re-installed on the boat. It is still on the boat to this day.
That was like 1987. Those are the smoothest shifting drives I have ever seen.

Can't hate Volvo. I would consider the SX drives on a "slow-fast."

pachangalpina 04-14-2005 09:07 AM

Trailering could be interesting

TopSpin80 04-14-2005 09:12 AM

don't they also make a fully composite drive?

the forward facing prop was not designed so much for the us market, but for overseas where there aren't so many "shallow" spots

the prop hits first in any collision, the skeg gives no protection.

Ernie

Canada Jeff 04-14-2005 09:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These new drives are suposed to be much easier to manover a crusier at the docks and around the marinas!

I spoke to one of the salesmen in Miami, and walked me through it.

The steering is electric powered. So if you have a power failure to both sides (one will still steer if one side fails) there is a manual over ride on the top of the unit to steer. But all one has to do is make sure both are pointed streight, and then just used the shifters.

Here are some pictures I took in Miami.

Canada Jeff 04-14-2005 09:45 AM

I also asked the salesman if Vovlo had plans to use this design in a stern drive high performance modle? He replied "No, the high performance market is far to small for Vovlo to get involved with"

I can only asume he doesn't have a clue about other Volvo products, dork.

cobra marty 04-14-2005 09:47 AM

Just take a bravo 3 lower and spin it around 180 degrees!

fund razor 04-14-2005 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by TopSpin80
don't they also make a fully composite drive?

I think that most of it is composite. Especially the things that have contact with the water. Some internals are still conventional, I think. Could be wrong.

C_Spray 04-14-2005 09:02 PM

The IPS drive is bronze, and w-a-y strong. The new D6-350 deisels make a lot of torque. Primary applications are 40-foot express boats - the advangates don't really show up until 35-40 mph and up. Very much for the US market. And they've been impact tested. Severely. Let's just say that any impact that would tear the bottom unit off of the boat would punch the shafts, struts and rudders right through the bottom of a shaft-drive boat (and sink it).

Super - do you have any pictures/links to the ZF ring drive? Sounds neat.

The Volvo composite outdrive is called the "OX" series and is available with gas engines up to 502 cubic inches. Pretty much a conventional layout.

super termoli 04-15-2005 05:49 AM

C spray, go to http://fbdesign.it/ringdrive.php

That will give you a bit more info.

BTW, what Ernie said. Where I boat, if IPS falls off, that's it. If you're more than a mile offshore, depth is already 500+

fund razor 04-15-2005 09:06 AM

Ohh... where I boat it's like 3 feet deep.

When we have problems we get out and walk.