Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Powder coating machine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/101034-powder-coating-machine.html)

Highmark 04-22-2005 11:44 AM

Re: Powder coating machine

Pre-treatment and curing is absolutely critical in powder coating. If you want true 500+ hr salt spray test results you need to alkaline wash, rinse, iron phosphate (or zinc phosphate)wash , rinse (3-5 wash stages min.) to get the part properly prepared. Our system is 5 stage and we get salt spray (form B) reults over 700 hrs. Curing is critical too. Remember if a powder takes 15 minutes at 400 deg to fully cure then you have to take into account the time it takes the part to actually reach that surface temp for that long not just set the oven to 400/15min. Good cure test is dipping a que tip in some xylene and rub it back and forth 50 times (back and forth counts as one). If anything more than a tint of color shows on the que tip it is not cured properly.

www.american-iowa.com

2112 04-22-2005 10:46 PM

Highmark,

Do you do permastar?

hillbilly24 04-23-2005 12:13 AM

Permastar is not exacley like chrome as said previousl it is an ebony chrome it is very similair to black chrome wch is a sweet look but if you put it next to other chrome parts it will look funny. There are only a few shops doing it and I believe some specialty equipment is needed. There is a guy in Newbury Park Claifornia named Allen who own the polishing shop he has a guy that does it. I don't have the # handy right now but if I find it I will post it later.

Highmark 04-23-2005 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by 2112
Highmark,

Do you do permastar?

Currently we do not do Permastar.

2112 04-23-2005 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
Permastar is not exacley like chrome as said previousl it is an ebony chrome it is very similair to black chrome wch is a sweet look but if you put it next to other chrome parts it will look funny. There are only a few shops doing it and I believe some specialty equipment is needed. There is a guy in Newbury Park Claifornia named Allen who own the polishing shop he has a guy that does it. I don't have the # handy right now but if I find it I will post it later.

I already have permastar. It looks like a millon but I did not get a good job. It started peeling around the smooth Valve cover bolt washers the very fist time I snugged them down. Looking for a better shop to do it over.

I would like the name of the shop you are reffering to unless Newbury Park is the same thing as Downey.

The pic has the Valve Covers and Air cleaners in Permastar. Air cleaners were a little sloppy on the edges but much tougher.

hillbilly24 04-24-2005 05:12 PM

The name of the buissnes is "The Poloshing Shop" thery are in Newbuyr park California and the owners name is Allen they are real good people and do awsome work.

2112 04-24-2005 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
The name of the buissnes is "The Poloshing Shop" thery are in Newbuyr park California and the owners name is Allen they are real good people and do awsome work.

Thanks!