Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   DIESEL vs GAS? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/101424-diesel-vs-gas.html)

Semper Fi 05-02-2005 11:08 PM

Re: DIESEL vs GAS?

I was in Newport Beach, CA. today and I met a guy from Tahiti that has a 35' Cafe Racer with diesels!!! He showed me pictures of it. It was pretty cool.

u4ea32 05-12-2005 10:38 PM

Specifically: Let's say you wanted the largest boat you could easily trailer without painful permits, that seems to actually be in demand. That seems to be a Fountain 47 Lightning. But you only want twin engines to keep it simple.

Twin diesels, or twin big gas?

I think twin, staggered, 440 Yanmars with ASD8 Arnesons would be the ticket.

DollaBill 05-13-2005 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
GO DIESEL-- resale value is much higher. Can you imagine trying to buy a used 34' cruiser with 200 hrs. on it with gas motors??? Now imagine the same boat with diesels....it's just broken in with 200hrs. :D

Semper-

Absolutely false. A diesel 34 will bring only slightly more $ when it comes times for resale. A guy buying a 34 is going to put 5-100 hrs a year on the boat. The diesel has it's advantages but not for 30 or 40K. That's a lot of beer money. I have had gas vs. dsl in the same boats and had to give the dsl away. Just as a 40' gas cruiser will sit for a long time before finding a home.

guilderoy 05-13-2005 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, Its Marine Diesel That makes the Direct Replacement to the big Block not Yanmar. Marine Diesel USA would be the way to go for that conversion. Their engines are from 175-400 hp are the same weight as the big block gasoline. We are actually the distributor for the caribbean and we are outfitting a scarab 33 with a pair. Here are some pics of the engines and boat.

guilderoy 05-13-2005 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Side View

T2x 05-13-2005 10:52 AM

Diesel...for all of the reasons above......and..... Diesel is cheapest at the warmest times of the year.... Gasoline goes the other way in price.

T2x

guilderoy 05-13-2005 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Boat. 89 Scarab III We are putting in two MD 400. We are selling out our current demo engines MD300 17986.00 New with warranty.

HiPerf2000 05-13-2005 11:15 AM

CAPO........

Judging by the size of the chicks that you date, i would say you need the hauling power of the diesels.

Semper Fi 05-24-2005 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
Semper-

Absolutely false. A diesel 34 will bring only slightly more $ when it comes times for resale. A guy buying a 34 is going to put 5-100 hrs a year on the boat. The diesel has it's advantages but not for 30 or 40K. That's a lot of beer money. I have had gas vs. dsl in the same boats and had to give the dsl away. Just as a 40' gas cruiser will sit for a long time before finding a home.

My A$$. I don't believe that for a second. I have friends that sell cruisers, and they ALL say the diesel is the way to go. The resale value is much higher for a diesel. I have a diesel truck also, you couldn't give me a gas truck.

u4ea32 05-24-2005 07:49 PM

I think that with the new gas prices diesels will soon be the only thing anyone wants.

In Europe, you will rarely see a gas powered boat. It its bigger than a dinghy, it almost certainly has a diesel engine. High performance boats too! They have been living with $5 or $6 per gallon of gas for years.

How much did you spend on gas last weekend? I spend about $200 to $400 each weekend I use the boat. When its $400 to $800 per gallon? Maybe getting twice the mileage on diesel will make one hell of a lot of sense.

Oh: and my engines are not blown. Blowers, due to the power required to turn the compressor, burn about 50% to 100% more fuel than non-blown engines. So going from a blown gas to a supercharged, intercooled diesel results in up to a 3x savings in fuel.

Soon, this will not be a question anyone asks, because the answer will always be the same. "Diesel, of course."