Who makes welded aluminum trailers?? >

Who makes welded aluminum trailers??

Notices

Who makes welded aluminum trailers??

Old 05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's aluminum, welded, and it flex's, it's GONNA break at some point... no if's, and's or but's about it... it's guaranteed

I second the 10 year warranty comment
Old 05-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

I've never had a broken bolt in 19 years on the fishboat, again, almost 100% salt use.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered

I have a Owens and it is a bolted variety. I am a dork and thought about a welded construction and IMHO a bolted joint is a better structural member for a flexy thing (trailers are flexy). It is true that a properly welded joint will never fail at the weld, the key is the heat effected zone and the stress concentration that exists outside the weld. If comes down to a surface area. Can you weld a trailer together and have stresses low enough that is will not fatigue and fail in a reasonable amount of time, absolutely, it is difficult , you bet. The fatique (S-N curve) shows that given enough cycles the ultimate strength of aluminum goes way down. The key is to never exceed that level of stress for the the lifetime of the part. I am not saying a MYCO will fail, they are outside what I wanted to spend so never looked at them that closely. But I am just saying bolted joints have larger region to transfer the load = less stress concentration. I think welded trailers look nicer and that is main driver. I can prove to anyone analytically that a properly bolted joint will be stronger than the aluminum member and that is good enough for me.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Banned

Myco welds can, and do fail. The last guy that posted about a failed weld on a Myco was extolling the virtues of Myco's service for the failed weld, and when I posted I'd be pissed if I paid that much for a trailer and it failed, I wouldn't give a damn how good their customer service was. He sent me a pm, jumping on me and telling me to delete my post, so I did. I guess it's not permissable to point out when the Emperor wears no clothes.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take welded aluminum and take my chances. I've not heard one complaint on these forums about welded aluminum trailers catastrophically failing and there are plenty of welded aluminum trailers in circulation and a lot of them are towing big dollar boats to poker runs all across the country . They look incredible, will never rust, chip or fade and although I personally don't do a lot of towing, I have never noticed any flexing or other unusual characteristics.

Maybe one (if it was an aluminum version Myco) now that I read Cuda's post.