Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who uses Tie down straps (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/101700-who-uses-tie-down-straps.html)

Wobble 06-12-2005 10:45 AM

Re: Who uses Tie down straps

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Towed 16' Donzi(s) 18 Donzi(s) 20' Cigarette, 24' Pantera, 27' Magnum, never in 35 plus years of trailering boats has a strap been used. Never a problem, learn how to tow a boat, for God sakes. If it is a 13' or 15' Boston Whaler I have used straps to tie down the transom. Alwats have had a chain at the bow eye to keep the boat form coming forward. This is an issue that is way out of proportion on this site. :confused:

OldSchool I think you are confusing good luck with Safe Practices.

Any one know what the law is on this?

kcgbjc 06-12-2005 12:22 PM

Use them all! I have a friend that swears he can take off all his straps on the launch, backup fast and lock up the breaks without losing the boat. He has yet to prove it to me.

320es 06-12-2005 12:38 PM

on my first boat, a 18 ft runabout I didn't use them for several years until I had to swerve off of the road to avoid someone else. The boat ended up sideways on the trailer, not real bad but bad enoughI have always used them since.

Sean H 06-12-2005 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Towed 16' Donzi(s) 18 Donzi(s) 20' Cigarette, 24' Pantera, 27' Magnum, never in 35 plus years of trailering boats has a strap been used. Never a problem, learn how to tow a boat, for God sakes. If it is a 13' or 15' Boston Whaler I have used straps to tie down the transom. Alwats have had a chain at the bow eye to keep the boat form coming forward. This is an issue that is way out of proportion on this site. :confused:

and you wanna know the kinds of people who lose boats off their trailers.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jet tech 06-12-2005 06:32 PM

Bow winch, bow strap, transom straps.

Smarty 06-12-2005 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
and you wanna know the kinds of people who lose boats off their trailers.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not me :) But I absolutely agree with the merit of strapping the transom down. Experience and conservative towing behaviors do go along way, but accidents can and do happen, I cannot disagree with taking proper safety precautions.

MitchStellin 06-12-2005 09:25 PM

You know, a 10,000 lb boat out of control on a trailer will most likely snap a strap or pull a transom or bow eye clean out. There are 10s of 1000s of pounds of pull on these things, most of the time the s hook or clip bends and releases. They are without a doubt a must and the law in most states and can help, I use them all the way around, What works even better is keeping your distance, being defensive and paying attention. This way you could leave the ball hitch latch off and be OK, until you back down the ramp that is :eek: :D

X-Rated30 06-13-2005 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
What works even better is keeping your distance, being defensive and paying attention.

Amen, Bruddah. :cool:

stecz20 06-13-2005 12:39 AM

who asked you skater cat guy.. you used to be cool when you had a v.. now your weird, and i dont like you...

X-Rated30 06-13-2005 12:54 AM

Awwww. Now I am really sad. Steczy doesn't like me 'cause his 600hp doggies still can't hang. What WILL I do??? :evilb: