Notices
View Poll Results: Do you use tie down straps?
I use straps AND a safety chain
72.58%
I JUST use a safety chain and winch
13.23%
No straps, No safety chain, just a winch
8.06%
Allan4 is a putz
6.13%
Voters: 310. You may not vote on this poll

Who uses Tie down straps

Old 06-13-2005, 12:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who uses Tie down straps

you used to be cool...
Old 06-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

The straps hold the trailer up to the boat (it's lighter than the boat); sorta like strapping down a load onto an 18 wheeler's trailer, keeping the load/trailer one unit.

Don't forget to loosen the straps while is is parked, strap tension adds that much more weight to the bunk area, potentially damaging the hull's shape.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The straps hold the trailer up to the boat (it's lighter than the boat); sorta like strapping down a load onto an 18 wheeler's trailer, keeping the load/trailer one unit."

I found out how that works the hard way back in 2000. I was almost to Lake Cumberland, just outside of Jamestown on the way to the dam, and a lady in a Toyota Tercel pulled out in front of me and proceeded to attempt a sudden left turn into a driveway for a yard sale. I would have creamed her if I had tried to stop, so my reaction was to yank the wheel hard to the right and put it over a 4 foot deep ditch. That was the only place I could steer without hitting something. The guy in back of me said truck, trailer and boat had about three feet of daylight under them. The landing was pretty rough, broke motor mounts on the truck, bent the frame, ripped the receiver from the frame in the back, bent the winch tower, broke all four bunks on the trailer - but it STAYED on the trailer instead of landing on top of us in the truck! Only damage to the boat was a trim tab getting ripped off, a few small chips in the keel, and the transom assy got knocked loose - which neccessitated pulling the engine and drive, which gave me the excuse to upgrade said engine and drive...

All I can say is, I am GLAD that I used transom straps and a big turnbuckle through the bow hook. Could have saved my life!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
I once let a buddy who i thought new what he was doing hook up the trailer while i paid the repair bill for some work done......and took off thinking eveything was cool.......went over a set of train track and saw the font of the boat go and easy 2' higher then the back of my truck!!! for the life of me i dont know how it landed back on the ball of the hitch! But i pulled over and wouldnt ya know it...the reciever lock down was open!!! No one to blame but myself for being to trust worthy of someone else!!! Thank goodness it didnt turn out worse

And before that happened i used to never use straps thinking the boat was heavy enough to stay on the trailer......all it took was one time over some rough roads at 65mph and to look back and see daylight under the boat as it was coming up off the trailer to make a believer out of me!!! never again will i go without strapping the back down!!!
Hey if you could do it again but call a photographer out in a helicopter to capture it.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Registered

Re: boat ramps
I am re-posting this from another thread:
Hopefully it will keep someone from ruining their WHOLE day. . .
.................................................. ......................... .......................
Don't Forget Your Safety Chain . . .
OR your transom tie-downs . . .

OK - they were stacked up at the Ramp like airliners over O'Hare in a snowstorm.
There was a diesel spill in Huntington Harbour.
I need to quick fetch my boat to top it up with street gas. . . seeing the traffic at the Ramp, I want to execute the perfect "dip and go" retrieval. I get the trailer in quick, and the boat on the trailer. PERFECT. As I'm headin up the Ramp, the tongue pops off the ball and the trailer rolls ( STEEP RAMP ) back down toward the water. The trailer safety chains catch, but the bunks are slippery from the diesel spill and the boat slips backwards on the bunks.
The winch-strap then - SNAPPED - at the hook.

The only thing saved me from the resounding crunch of fiberglass on concrete was the safety chain from the bow eye to the trailer. I did not have transom tie-downs. The chain was still vibrating like a banjo-string when I got to it.

LESSON: Don't let the traffic at the Ramp influence your safety check. Take EVERY precaution before starting up the ramp. Because I was in a hurry, I almost waited to connect the safety chain until I was clear of the ramp. Figuring the strap was enough.

IT WASN"T . . .

* UPON EDIT * . . . I will continue to post this experience on EVERY "Tie-Down", "Safety Chain" thread, as long as I draw breath as a human . . . you DON'T want the alternative to good, safe, launch / retrieve procedures . . .

Last edited by rouxsterre; 12-09-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't use any.

My boat is in a slip I don't trailer anymore
Old 12-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Thats why mine a has a cable for a winch strap .My buddy wants me to change it out to a strap because the cable doesent roll up neetly

I had this 10k ratchet strap made for the front I hope its strong enough?
Strip388
Who needs all of those straps when you got "good luck bunny" on the wench.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea one of the joints here had a playmate given them away.I figured it would get some girls atention

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Registered

The question of whether or not tie downs are used wouldn't have to ba asked if all you guys drove on Illinois roads!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Registered

I use the winch strap and the safety chain, usually. When i bought the boat, i had to trailer it across the state (MI). I asked the seller about the lack of straps on the transom, and his reply was "i've towed it all over the state and it's never had straps on the back".

So of course i stopped at the hardware store and bought some straps. Guess what? No place to attach them. There are two eyes on the transom, but when i hook the other end to the trailer it interferes with the trim tabs. When i have to tow long distances, i put them on, but they start to fray right away from rubbing on the edge of the tabs, and i'm sure it's not good for the tabs (water was getting in). I have some dinky straps not nearly strong enough, but real straps would probalby take the tabs clean off. I need to figure out how to fix that over the winter, somehow. I've had it on some pretty rough roads and been okay so far, though. Usually when i tow it's only 40 mph for 2-3 miles to the ramp.

On lighter boats i've always strapped down the transom, you have to or it'll fly away.

I'll reiterate that you should always attach the safety chain before pulling the boat out of the water. I've broken my winch strap just pulling the boat tight to the trailer. I need to get a cable to replace the strap, the strap just isn't going to cut it.

Last edited by sleeper_dave; 12-13-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Who uses Tie down straps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.