Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Watching Fort Lauderdale Races from the Water 4000' AWAY. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/101956-watching-fort-lauderdale-races-water-4000-away.html)

DyD 04-29-2005 03:15 PM

Watching Fort Lauderdale Races from the Water 4000' AWAY.

I got this from the paper today, ALL boats will have to be 4000 ft from the beach because of safety reasons, don't know how good we can see the races that far from them.

"Boaters who plan to view this weekend's McDonald's Air & Sea Show from a vantage point at sea need to remember that authorities have established a restricted zone offshore of Fort Lauderdale. Cross the line, Coast Guard officials say, and face a written violation or possible arrest.

For the security of naval vessels participating in the show and the safety of the public, no private vessels will be allowed within a 4-mile zone from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. today, Saturday or Sunday. The restricted area will run from north of Oakland Park Boulevard south to the Port Everglades Inlet. It will extend from shore out to 4,000 feet and will be clearly marked with buoys."

Chris288 04-29-2005 03:31 PM

Re: Watching Fort Lauderdale Races from the Water 4000' AWAY.

that would be close to a mile..

gdfatha 04-29-2005 03:50 PM

How far will the race boats be from the beach/land/any hotel viewing area??

georges 04-29-2005 04:52 PM

The swimming area is marked off with buoys 300ft from shore, so that is how close the boats can pass. Any hotel along the beach will have a great viewing area, as will the beach.

Indy 04-29-2005 04:58 PM

Terrorism just won...

MiamiVice 04-29-2005 09:00 PM

I agree on that!!! With all that military muscle around, you would think that they could secure a little tighter so that boaters could enjoy as in past. 4000' is a joke.

Cash Bar 04-30-2005 04:06 PM

I think they tied the "4000ft." line to fact that they have several large ships offshore this year. There has always been a few smaller vessels, but this yr. there is a large marine air carrier and two AEGIS class cruisers and several others. They also are taking note of recent crashes at air shows nad decided on some extra room.

BlakeandBrock 04-30-2005 04:48 PM

I'm sure 4,000 feet isnt too far when you're there at the beach... Pictures would be nice