Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fair warning - make your peace with the Lord while there is still time! >

Fair warning - make your peace with the Lord while there is still time!

Notices

Fair warning - make your peace with the Lord while there is still time!

Old 05-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fair warning - make your peace with the Lord while there is still time!

Thanks all - the boat really met all of our criteria almost perfectly. Twins, reliable stock power, windshield for those fine Michigan boating days (52 today! ), small enough to tow behind the Durango and big enough to ride well.

I'm really surprised at how big it is compared to our old 280. Seems like the deck is taller as well as the boat being almost 2' longer - lots of headroom below.

Can't wait to get out and see how she runs on our local waters, but since this is Michigan it could fricking snow again this week.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Registered

Default Re: Fair warning - make your peace with the Lord while there is still time!

One thing about the 290 boats without hydraulic steering, there tends to be enough sideways movement in the drives to produce high speed oscillations, quite often mistaken for chine walk.
Barb's brother-in-law had a 290 with 330's (owned by summerfliesby in Hammond now) and they are very nice boats. A friend of Dyno's has one here too. JiimyV on the board I think.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I have a lot of seat time in the 290... buddy has one that actually looks just like your Dock... where did you get it? Maybe Tony sold his and didnt' tell me?? Anyway, with the stock power those boats are perfect. With any more power they get to be a real handful. We could get 63-65 out of Tony's any day of the week, stock 330's.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations Dock. It's been a long time comin.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Registered

Nice ride!!!! Hope to see you on LSC!!!
Just look for the blue hull white deck 29 Mirage

Fish

Last edited by 29mirage; 05-02-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Dave, we're definitely coming over for Smoke, I'm hoping to find somewhere to tie the boat up for a night or two so that I don't have to yank it out each night - any suggestions? I'm assuming the municipal docks will be full up with the Poker Run boats.
Congrats on the new boat !!!

You can have my dock Saturday nite after Smoke !

JM
Old 05-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LEOPAJM
Congrats on the new boat !!!

You can have my dock Saturday nite after Smoke !

JM
That would ROCK! Let me know if there is anything I need to do on that deal, I'd love to be able to tie up there - maybe my little family boat could learn a trick or two from all of that serious hardware
Old 05-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Registered

Congrats Mike. You might be right about the end of the world thing... I was out at lunch today, my truck outside temp showed 51 degrees, and it started snowing. I think you've messed with the balance of nature...
Old 05-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Registered

nice find good looking boat
Old 05-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse
One thing about the 290 boats without hydraulic steering, there tends to be enough sideways movement in the drives to produce high speed oscillations, quite often mistaken for chine walk.
Barb's brother-in-law had a 290 with 330's (owned by summerfliesby in Hammond now) and they are very nice boats. A friend of Dyno's has one here too. JiimyV on the board I think.
Dave, funny you should mention that. The gimbals are nice and tight on this boat, and it has a Latham tie bar, but... it's also got these "shock absorber" deals mounted between the drives. I don't have a good picture of it (try tonight) but it looks almost exactly like a hydraulic steering system mounted between the drives, except instead of rams it has essentially shock absorbers. I've never seen anything like it (but that is where I'd like to put a nice Marine Machine or similar system....)

Quick Reply: Fair warning - make your peace with the Lord while there is still time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.