Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fraudulent TOY purchaser's....... >

Fraudulent TOY purchaser's.......

Notices

Fraudulent TOY purchaser's.......

Old 05-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fraudulent TOY purchaser's.......

Awhile back there was a female from England, wanting to try to buy anything and everything. She was put to the test by a few OSO members after she inquired about there boats.
NOW has anyone lately had any inquiries from a person going by Damon? I have been approached by email through OSO for a toy I am selling.......just seemed to quick and easy. But have not heard back from this person yet
Old 05-04-2005, 10:20 PM
BK
Registered

Default Re: Fraudulent TOY purchaser's.......

If they say they'll send you a money order/cashier's check for more than you are asking, and then ask you to return part of the cash..........RUN AWAY~!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The money order will be a fake but it will take weeks before it is returned "FORGERY" to your bank. At that point, you will be held responsible for the bad check.

Info:

http://www.fraudaid.com/ScamSpeak/Ni...t_check_02.htm

more at

http://nwanews.com/story.php?paper=b...&storyid=19272
Old 05-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Registered

this is exactly what happened to me when i sold my scarab, don't be stupid. no $$$ no boat no way. i would even talk to anyone not in u.s. most of these frauds are from out of country......good luck don't loose your $$$$$ i was lucky and too smart, you do the same.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Registered

The first link had very good advice. I took a money order for my Navigator. After the guy left I started looking at the money order, did not look real. Bank it was from was closed, kept me up almost all night worried. It was real, but the next time I sell something over Ebay, I'm checking things out before I let whatever leave my possesion. Since the bank was closed phoned Police, shocked to learn that this was not considered criminal unless I knew it was fake and tried cashing it!

My bank also recently put a hold on an Western Union money order because they could not confirm it was legit until they opened. So good fakes exist, caution is a must these day's. Hence why I do not use my credit cards online.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grimmy
this is exactly what happened to me when i sold my scarab, don't be stupid. no $$$ no boat no way. i would even talk to anyone not in u.s. most of these frauds are from out of country......good luck don't loose your $$$$$ i was lucky and too smart, you do the same.
Sold my boat to a guy from Austria. He came and looked at the boat, gave me the money and we shipped the boat shortly thereafter. A good deal.

I think if they show up in person, you have a better chance of coming out o.k.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Registered

I was just fishing to see if the Damon had contacted anyone else in the group about buying something. The female last year (I think her name was Carol) contacted a few of us.....no sales had taken place though