Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who sells docklines at reasonable prices? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102194-who-sells-docklines-reasonable-prices.html)

Pantera1 05-02-2005 06:43 PM

Re: Who sells docklines at reasonable prices?

Nylon
Nylon is the strongest of all ropes in common use. When stretched it has a "memory" for returning to its original length. For this reason it is best for absorbing shock loads, as is the case when lifting or towing. Nylon lasts 4-5 times longer than natural fibers because it has good abrasion resistance and is not damaged by oil or most chemicals. Like manila, nylon has good resistance to ultraviolet deterioration from sunlight, referred to as "U.V. stability".
Polyester
Polyester is very close to nylon in strength when a steady force is applied. However, unlike nylon, polyester stretches very little and therefore cannot absorb shock loads as well. It is as equally resistant as nylon to moisture and chemicals, but is superior in resistance to abrasion and sunlight. Polyester is the most popular general purpose rope in the boating industry.
Polypropylene (Poly)
Because of its light weight, polypropylene is the only rope which floats. For this reason, it is very popular for pool markers and water sports. Poly is affected by sunlight deterioration, more so than any other synthetic or natural fiber rope, but its life can be extended by storing it away from direct sunlight. Poly begins to weaken and melt at 150°F, the lowest melting point of all synthetic ropes. It is not as strong as nylon or polyester, but 2-3 times stronger than manila. Because poly is less expensive than other fibers, it is the most popular all-purpose rope for the average consumer. Hollow braided poly can be spliced.

mwdill 05-02-2005 07:08 PM

walmart
you would be suprised :D:

C_Spray 05-02-2005 07:44 PM

I've used Miami Cordage to outfit my last two boats. Everything is custom-made at production prices, so you can get the exact length, diameter, color, splice size, etc. that you want. They will even whip the bitter ends and splices of your lines in different colors so you can tell the long ones from the short ones at a glance. It's true braid-on-braid, too - no sewn splice sleeves. They'll also do any three-strand work you want done, including splicing chain directly to line. Get them to give you a quote.

dukenrock 05-02-2005 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you talking about these 8? :drink: ) (They got nice taste in boats)

Originally Posted by Troutly
FINALLY ya got the name right :D

I have about eight of those C cups on board.....ya can never have enough :p

Harper220 05-02-2005 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by mwdill
walmart
you would be suprised :D:

I've bought a few there... :D

RUSSSR1 05-02-2005 11:52 PM

If you need I have a couple of five fingered booby holders. Can't have them but i'v been known to lend them out when needed. :D :evilb: :evilb:

RedDog382 05-03-2005 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by dukenrock

Kevin,

I think that actually adds up to 16!

When was it that we are going boating again?! :eek: :D :drink: :evilb:

RedDog382 05-03-2005 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by dukenrock

Oh, by the way ... it's a good thing your camera batteries were not dead on the day of the photo above! :D

Rippem 05-03-2005 07:23 AM

having seen that pic before, will someone point out Mrs. Troutly again?
before I pick a favorite, so that I don't end up feeling the sting of the "long arm of the law". :D

dukenrock 05-03-2005 07:33 AM

Batteries charged, boat is fueled, Formula dialed everything else in. I'm ready. This weekend will be tied up getting the lake house ready for summer. Otherwise pretty open schedule. I can do another weekday too. Let me know. :drink:

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Kevin,

I think that actually adds up to 16!

When was it that we are going boating again?! :eek: :D :drink: :evilb: