Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Decided to do an intro! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102197-decided-do-intro.html)

Zudnic 05-02-2005 10:46 AM

Decided to do an intro!

I'm liking this site, so decided to stick around for a bit! First I'll explain my screen name. I grew-up on a beach outside of Vancouver B.C., if you take the ferry to Victoria you can see my old house. When I was a teen Miami Vice was still hot, before no talent Dick Wolf how many Law and Orders can you create before people get sick of it took over as executive producer. I digress, tried my dangest to talk my parents into buying either a Donzi or Cigarette, did'nt work! Can't complain birthday present ended up being a 17ft Sea Ray Seville, not bad for a kid, pretty spoiled actuelly. I kept her tied to a buoy about ten feet in front of my house. Took it out of the water for winter, usually towards the middle of Oct., winter storms started. We got an early storm in late Sept. and the boat broke free and washed up on the beach. While digging her out of the sand a young sick harbor seal crawled up beside me. Long story short myself and a friend took him/her to the Van. Aquarium. The Seal died about a week latter but it's name lives on internet!

Rebuilt the Sea Ray, new engine, than got into fishing, so bought from my Dad his Boston Whaler 22 cuddy with twin 150 Blackmax motors, ran in the low fifties on the speedo, good in the rough water, but not what I really wanted. Sold boat with the intentions of getting another of what I've always wanted. Got caught up with school than work, almost got the boat but something allways messes up the chance. I'm in my mid thirties and almost 9 years of no boat latter, I need one, plus I'm winding down work, semi-retiring, and can't think of a better way to waste my time away. I'm getting old to the point the mother looks better than the daughter!

I've switched businesses a couple of years ago, investment banking, so a few of the companies we have in the fire (Dad and two other close family friends are partners) are taking off. The others invovled want to retire and I'm sick of working in this enviroment. So I'm cashing out all my stocks and selling off my land that I bought for a good sum of cash. I'm keeping the workshop that I built and building a small house beside it. I'm a car nut as well, but sick of tickets, and found track events getting a little boring, people in my neck of the woods are more into Nascar, so driving in a cirlce just is not my cup of tea. Most of the tracks around here are ovals, no good course being built. Since we have lots of water, boats can and will fill my need for speed. Since I've owned car repair shops, switching to the boat business will not be that much of a leap. My uncle who currently works in building Yachts wants to join me! Nothing big just some rigging and some used boat sales. Offshore should be more popular in this region and I see poker runs and such growing here, so a small business should work well!!!! My dream would be to get us in the PACWEST a Offshore race!!!! SBI just signed a contract to allow the "Miami Vice" movie to film during Miami Super Boat Grand Prix, so I'm expecting Offshore Racing to get hot like the mid eighties during the T.V. series (no not Nascar hot). To get on the circuit in Seattle would be nice!

Until my real estate is sold and we get into business next year or so, I'm looking for the one boat I've wanted ever since I saw one in Tahoe when about 9 or 10 years old. A nice older Donzi Classic 18 or 22. Plan on using it for the rest of this reason and than re-rigging over the winter. Older but not tired is what I'm looking for. Next season and have the land sold, I want and need a 36 Cig Gladiator (for poker runs, etcetera)!

OldSchool 05-02-2005 10:59 AM

Re: Decided to do an intro!

Welcome to OSO!! You are going to find that there is alot of useful info here....and alot of not so useful info as well!!! :D :drink:

Check out the classified section, you might find something that would fit your needs in the Cigarette section. ;) ;)

Craig

East Coast B 05-02-2005 11:03 AM

Welcome aboard!!!!

Ron P 05-02-2005 11:09 AM

Nice first post! Welcome to the insanity.

dave911 05-02-2005 12:15 PM

Welcome! Please drive thru...

t500hps 05-02-2005 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by craig223
Welcome to OSO!! .......and alot of not so useful info as well!!!......... :D :drink:

Craig

I believe that would be Craig's specialty.... :eek: unless you wanna talk about crappers! :D

Mrs. Candyman 05-02-2005 01:51 PM

Welcome! I think you'll like it here. Like what Craig said :drink:

Happy boat shoppin'

Vicki :drink:

Ange 05-02-2005 07:37 PM

Zudnic, welcome aboard! You have now become another OSO addict. Hope you are up to the challenge. :drink:

dykstra 05-02-2005 08:19 PM

Welcome! :drink:

CBR 05-04-2005 12:53 AM

My pops used to own a chunk of Gossip Island, first island on your right as the Vancouver to Victoria ferry enters Active pass. Fond memories of camping on the land, cooking fresh caught salmon and plucked oysters over driftwood beach fires.

Sold the land when a large piece was subdivided opposite to us, and the newbies destroyed the oyster beds in one summer!

Good luck high performance boating up there, frankly I'd be afraid to because of all the deadheads floating around. Seen terrible damage to many slow yachts, I'd hate to hit a deadhead at 70 MPH or more.