Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Launching 101 - somewhat embarrassed. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102306-launching-101-somewhat-embarrassed.html)

t500hps 05-03-2005 02:45 PM

Re: Launching 101 - somewhat embarrassed.

Why wait until you get to the ramp? Seems alot of people just dump them on the street lately. :eek:

Ron P 05-03-2005 02:53 PM

Don't forget to tilt the drives up.

Bunk trailer or rollers?

Don't sink the trailer, just get the tires wet to the axle. See if it is floating at all. Start the motors, put in reverse then have your wife slowly bump it down the ramp with the brakes.

Don't forget the drain plug.

Just don't look like a tool doing it for the first time. Don't unhook the front hook until you're ready to go off the trailer, especially if it's a roller trailer.

Interceptor 05-03-2005 02:55 PM

Mike,
I use that ramp every two weeks to pull the boat, clean the bottom and fill the gas tank.
The ramp is paved a long way back and reasonably steep. You should be able to float the boat of that trailer with ease.
With the excitement don't forget to fill you gas tank before launching.

Drives up. Drain plug in. Keys in ignition.
I put two dock line on , one at bow and one at the down wind side.
Diane backs our trailer down until the transom is at the water and I take off all the straps, bow and rear. I grab the two line and have her back up until the hull floats free. Pull back some and have her drive fwd. Hav ethe wife pull away from the ramp area to get out of the way.

The water sort of swirls in the area around the ramps and rack storage docks but I've never had a problem.

You'll need to learn how to swing the boat and back into the rack lift out wells.

I've had problems loading a few times. Since th eramp is a little steep the bow is captured but the stern may swing if it is windy.

ed

OldSchool 05-03-2005 02:59 PM

Just unhook everything, back up and slam on the brakes!! She'll slide right off! :eek: :eek: :D :p :evilb:

Just kidding! Don't forget the PLUG!!!!!

Iggy 05-03-2005 03:01 PM

Everyone is right. Just take your time, tripple check everything, have the dock lines in place and tied to a cleat, leave the winch strap on until it's in the water, TAKE YOUR TIME! To hell with the jerks yelling that you're taking too long. Ignore them.
You'll do just fine.

But in case you do screw up, have some body standing by with a video camera. We'd all love to see it. :D :D

mba1620 05-03-2005 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by magnum27
I have seen the fork truck pick up a trailer (with the boat on it) and put it in the water to float the boat off, then raised the trailer out of the water and set the tung back on the hitch ball. Funniest think I had seen in a long time.

This has to be the funniest thing I have ever read. Do you think this person is lazy or just inexperienced.

t500hps 05-03-2005 04:01 PM

Within 2 months of getting my license I was towing a 20 ft boat. Everyone trailers their boats where I live (even the 42 Tigers and 43 Black Thunders) It never dawned on me that someone could be a regular boater and had never launched from a trailer. Take it slow and things will be fine. See if Interceptor will help you out for a ride.....

Interceptor 05-03-2005 04:32 PM

Mike,
When are you doing it ? I can help.

ed

US1 Fountain 05-03-2005 04:39 PM

Sounds like everyone has it covered.
Just remember, when about to dunk the trailer, you should see water out your trucks rear window, not the front. :)

Bill272 05-03-2005 04:42 PM

What everyone else said. Plus:
Keep it parallel to the dock. If the trailer is pointed towards it, the boat can hit the dock when it slides off. It can also be a pain if you get a fender under a dock. Plug in, rear tie downs off. I leave the winch strap on and check that the winch isn't set in reverse. I've seen boats getting backed down that were strapped at the bow and the winch handle was just freewheeling and letting out the winch strap as the boat slid off the trailer. Probably won't be an issue with bunks, but you never know. Back it down slowly until you can see it just float. I've never seen a boat that you could launch without getting the trailer axles wet.

I'd also suggest running over to Metro and practicing backing up with twins where there's some room. Get the feel of steering with the shifters...